FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving Changes with Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Silie
Moving Changes with Motion
on Jun 29, 2013 at 10:22:35 pm

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and motion. My version of motion is in german, so maybe my translations are wrong or a little bit strange. Hope, I can explain what I mean. :-)

I want to do some changes to a video I recorded. I found the functionality of "Motion tracking" to get the point of action. E.g. I want to change the color of the teeth, of course while the person is moving or talking. So the area, which has to be changed must be dynmamic. Not always a rectangle maybe a polygon. How can I define a polygon moving like the motion tracking recorded it?

This area must be changed, e.g. saturation must be reduced and brightness increased. How can I do this?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Moving Changes with Motion
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:58:28 pm

If you just want to change the color of an item I recommend a program like COLOR or Resolve. You can select a color and change it to a simular color like I did in this Color Correction Demo Reel. It can be done in FCP as well but the results are usually not that good.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Chris Lehmann
on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:48:58 pm

If you have FCPX the plugin SliceX will do exactly what you are asking for. You draw a polygon around something and it motion tracks it automatically. However, even with a clever plugin like this is might be a lot of work getting it to look good with something as complicated as teeth.

Here's the link: http://www.coremelt.com/products/slicex.html

Return to posts index

Peter Silie
on Jul 4, 2013 at 9:41:08 am

Thanks for the link. I downloaded and installed the trial version. After playing around I didn't get the mask to move with the object. I read a lot of their stuff. I'm unsure, if this feature (mask movement) is restricted to the licensed version? For a trial there is to much stuff belonging to license server and registration instead of short and impressive tutorials.

Maybe later on I will give it a try again.

Is there no solution for doing it with build in features of FCP X and/or Motion? I'm no professional and will need this feature for one family video of our last vacations.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 4, 2013 at 5:42:52 pm

There's probably a reasonably easy way to do this in Motion - if you'd like to post a frame grab of the shot you are trying to fix it would be easier to recommend the best course of action.

For example if it's just teeth whiteness you're trying to fix then it may be as easy as a simple luma key with a very rough garbage matte to isolate the keyed area.

You may well not need something as complicated (or expensive) as a third party plug-in.

It will depend on how the shot is lit and how much separation there exists in the area you're trying to isolate.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Peter Silie
on Jul 5, 2013 at 4:26:16 pm

Hey, that's a great idea. Do you have some additional tips how to do this in detail? I'm new to Motion, but if it's to much effort to explain what to do, I will try it in using the keyword "luma key" and search in the handbook and in youtube for understanding.

Thanks a lot
Peter

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 5, 2013 at 5:41:25 pm

[Peter Silie] "Do you have some additional tips how to do this in detail?"

Is it possible for you to post a frame grab of the shot in question so I could explain how you might go about the task you are trying to achieve?

Essentially what I am suggesting it that you create a rough mask to cover the general area that you are trying to fix. If you have tracking information already then that's great because you can attach your rough mask to it as your subject moves around.

The idea that I was suggesting depends on their being a reasonably obvious difference in luminance (brightness) or chrominance (color) within the selected area to which you could apply either a Luma Keyer or possibly a (Color) Keyer which can be found under the Keying section of the filters tab. Hopefully this would enable to to refine your selection within the area of the rough mask.

it might not work in your particular case but it could be a possible answer. Beyond that it's hard to be more specific without seeing the shot, as I say.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Peter Silie
on Jul 5, 2013 at 8:39:29 pm

I tried the last hours to get all the things together. Unfortunatly I didn't get it. I could/want not post a picture of my girl friend, but there is no special thing about the video. She is smiling right in the camera, so the color of the teeth should be different enough from mouth and skin.
I set motion tracking (hope this is the correct translation from my german version of motion) to the point right below the nose. The tracking was exact.

Now I need a rough mask. I used a octagon from the form menu (made it slim to fit the mouth). I clicked on "Add pic mask" and I got one. This mask I connected to the video. Another filter "change color/saturation" I added below "pic mask". I wanted it above mask but it was not accepted. On the other hand it works even if it is below the mask. Now I can reduce chroma for the inner mask of the octagon. But I need to set an additional inner mask for the color of the teeth (e.g. very light yellow) to reduce all changes to the teeth not affecting the lips. I think I need to insert a keyer? Luma keyer? But I don't know what to set up/change in the parameters. Somewhere I need to set the source color by clicking with a pipette? But where is the parameter and what is the right tool? Sorry, the handbook is a mess, because it handles all features in order of the menu. But nobody learns a language by reading a entire dictionary from a to z. :-( So I try to get informtion from every source possible.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 5, 2013 at 8:59:48 pm

OK, so try adding a Keyer to the layer that you've masked.

In the Keyer filter tab clicl on the Sample Color icon - the first icon at top left.

Then drag a selection of the color you want to key. It will look wrong at this point but don't panic just yet!

Click on the Invert Key button.

Set the Spill Level slider to zero.

Now click on the black & white centre icon in the View menu to look at your key in more detail.

Adjust the selection area to make sure you're picking up as much of the teeth color as possible without including anything you don't want.

Open up the Matte Tools panel and adjust the levels until you get a nice clean black & white cutout of the teeth.

From the View menu select the first icon which will give you the full colour keyed layer.

You're nearly there.

Add a Hue/Saturation filter to the keyed layer and reduce the saturation and increase the Value till you get nice white teeth.

You should of course have made a duplicate of this layer without the key which goes below your keyed layer.

Hope that works - and makes sense! Please let me know if you need more info.

Good luck with it :)

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 5, 2013 at 9:09:21 pm

To give you some encouragement, here's a quick test of how it works using exactly the technique I've just described:

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]