FORUMS: list search recent posts

Character Animation in Apple Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
utara sone
Character Animation in Apple Motion
on Jun 29, 2013 at 11:31:44 am

Is there a workflow in Motion 5 that can do animation in the way that the puppet tool in After Effects works?

For example, the way Daniel Gies used After Effects to do this:

Or is After Effects the only software that can do this? Not counting using 3D animation software (like Maya used for "South Park").

This question has been asked before, but it has been a couple of years, and there's a new Motion now.

arigato!

(^ ^)

[Edit: For some reason, I originally posted the wrong link to the example I am referring to. It's corrected now.]

Return to posts index

utara sone
Re: Character Animation in Apple Motion
on Jul 2, 2013 at 8:50:55 am

Anyone, anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

(^_^)

I'm thinking there must be a way to rig a character in Motion 5 in some way, no? I just don't yet understand it enough to know how to go about it. But perhaps the lack of info on doing such a think in Motion, compared to AE, should tell me something. Ne?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:50:24 pm

First off. I have Motion 4, not 5 for reasons not worth getting into. Anyways, Yes you can animate characters and that tutorial doesn't use the puppet tool. You don't have adjustment layers and expressions but they aren't needed. The key to character animations like I did for this Book Trailer is being able to parent items. For example, parent the hand to the arm so they both move together but you do the parent order so that if you rotate the hand it doesn't effect the arm. Not sure if I'm making sense. Motion 5 has a parameter rig feature. I'm not sure but I thought that was supposed to be like parenting in After Effects. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

utara sone
on Jul 8, 2013 at 6:52:28 am

Thank you, Stephen, for your help. I will look more into that. I'm just beginning to learn Motion, as I can not afford After Effects and don't want to get it through "other" means. I realize that the two pieces of software aren't competing in everything the way, say, Maya does with Cinema 4D, but Motion is a start for me.

Thank you again for responding to my post. Your video shows me that I can do some of things I want to accomplish in Motion.

(^_^)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]