FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrade from Motion 5.02 to 5.06 always crashes

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vickie Sceifers
Upgrade from Motion 5.02 to 5.06 always crashes
on Feb 21, 2013 at 7:24:07 pm

I'm on iMac OSX 10.6.8. I have attempted to upgrade to the latest version of Motion 5 many, many times. I just did it two more times, with different settings, still crashes. It crashes so bad, it hoses the whole computer. Can't even "reboot" or shut down. Can only press the off switch.

I have Motion in the Trash bin. I haven't emptied the trash yet; I've heard people say that's what finally worked. I've also seen them say it didn't. So it's still a crap shoot.

This is so stupid. Upgrading mainstream software to a relatively recent computer and os should not be this hard. This is the most frustrating upgrade I've ever had in my life. And I used to be on PC.

What can be done? Having to remove all clues to Motion 5 whatsoever is not appropriate. But I have done all that and still no working upgrade. I have removed all pref files, program files, project files, demo files, utility files...everything. ONLY thing I haven't done is empty trash of Motion, which, if this still doesn't work, I'm screwed. No program AT ALL!

Anyone have a VERY difficult time upgrading Motion on OS X 10.6.8 and did something that was eventually successful? I am frustrated beyond reason at this point. I'm now starting to run into new templates that won't run in my current version.

Thanks.
Vickie

Return to posts index

Chris Northcross
Re: Upgrade from Motion 5.02 to 5.06 always crashes
on Feb 21, 2013 at 7:31:49 pm

Not understanding the dilemma of trashing Motion and installing a new copy through the app store. I've trashed Final Cut Pro X and Motion 5 on separate occasions and then reinstalled them through the App Store. My problems were solved. Had to download the additional content again, but I was up and running in pretty short order.

Once you purchase an application from the App Store, you have access to download it (reinstall) as frequently as you'd like. Is there a reason you're heistant to trash the copy you have in the trash bin?

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

Return to posts index

Vickie Sceifers
on Feb 21, 2013 at 9:58:47 pm

Thank you for responding.

Chris - I am not on FCPX. I'm on 7.0. I did not get it from the App Store. I've had it longer than there WAS an App Store. That means I started with Motion 2. hmmm...not sure where the subsequent upgrades are, but obviously I'm on 5 now. I like the idea of unlimited downloading (LOL). Although, I'm sure, at this point, Apple doesn't support my versions either. If I were able to re-download, I wouldn't mind throwing away Motion.

If I throw away Motion 5.0.2. (I think I did buy that version from App Store, but I don't see it in my App Store Purchases, just the "won't-download" version 5.0.6). How would I then be able to get my old version back? I've definitely registered back when I bought it.

Simon - I've tried the compressing and moving all the files out of their native folders and all that stuff everyone says, but it still isn't working. It hangs at 1 minute left. And actually, before it hangs, it rotates between 3-5-4-3 minutes left. THAT'S weird!

I find it hard to believe I'm the only one with this issue and there's no resolution in the whole world.

Thanks for helping! Any other ideas?
Vickie

Return to posts index

Chris Northcross
on Feb 21, 2013 at 11:08:59 pm

Try taking Motion 5.0.2 that's in the trash and move it to a directory/folder on another drive. Then try downloading Motion from the app store. When I re-installed, I made sure previous iterations were gone from my system drive before I started to download.

Are you having any other problems with your computer that aren't Motion related?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 21, 2013 at 8:48:23 pm

[Vickie Sceifers] "What can be done? Having to remove all clues to Motion 5 whatsoever is not appropriate. But I have done all that and still no working upgrade. I have removed all pref files, program files, project files, demo files, utility files...everything. ONLY thing I haven't done is empty trash of Motion, which, if this still doesn't work, I'm screwed. No program AT ALL!"

One thing that Apple actually recommend is that you compress the existing copy of Motion (i.e. make a zip archive) before you install a new version, just in case you need to go backwards for any reason.

This works because the App Store installer can then no longer "see" the application and will run the installer quite happily.

Of course, if you need to revert to the old version you can unzip the archive and you're good to go.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Vickie Sceifers
on Feb 22, 2013 at 8:36:42 pm

Well, no luck again. This time I moved Motion over to another computer altogether. I think It downloads ok; it's on installation that it hangs at 1 minute.

Where is it downloading to? I can't find any files on my computer from these attempts.

Next?

Vickie

Return to posts index

Chris Northcross
on Feb 23, 2013 at 4:04:21 pm

Wow. This is a vexing problem. So you've moved Motion off of the original machine on to another and you still can't get motion to install on the original machine. Right?

Have you tried installing motion on the other Machine? The one that you moved your original copy of Motion to?

I'm tossing daggers in the dark here. It might be time to give Apple support a call and see if they have suggestions.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 23, 2013 at 5:57:18 pm

You haven't mentioned whether you've used Digital Rebellion's FCSRemover to get rid of Motion:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcsremover/

It's usually the first place to start to try and clean everything out before a new install. (And of course it's free!)

Might help if you haven't tried it.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]