FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drop Zones - In points Out Points and Motion templates

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Connors
Drop Zones - In points Out Points and Motion templates
on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:05:20 pm

Hi All,

I've got a real nagging problem with timing and dropzones in templates.

I've recently made the move to FCPx and been really impressed at the integration between Motion and FCP. HOWEVER, timing clips still drives me crazy.

I've got a template with two simple drop zones. The template is 15 seconds long, a title for a news cast. In the middle the two drop zones are meant for quick sound bites. Timing them correctly has turned into torture. In FCP7 I could create sub clips and then the template treated the first frame of the DZ as the in point. Not too hard.

Now I've gotta create compound clips, but the DZ treats the in point as the beginning of the generator. (SOMETIMES, this behavior has seemed in consistent. I recently added a "Project loop marker" which has been a BIG help in achieving consistency. I digress)

So I'm doing this crazy math to get my in points right. I have to set an in point 2 seconds and 23 frames before I actually want it.

There has to be a better way! I've tried frame offset. In my .Motn file the DZ ins and outs are exactly where I want them. What am I missing here?

Thanks much!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Drop Zones - In points Out Points and Motion templates
on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:35:50 pm

You don't need to do any of that. In FCP X, when you select a clip to be added to a drop zone, as of version 10.0.6, the clip will start based on where you have the playhead when you click it (in an event or in a project).

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Ben Connors
on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:54:44 pm

I figured someone out there would have a solution, for me in a day or two. I didn't expect Mark Spencer himself to answer within the hour.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I can't believe I've been dragging and dropping all these weeks. That makes SOOOO much more sense.
Thanks for all the free tutorials. I hope someday, to be able to fork over some cash and sit in class. Meanwhile very happy you're here on creative cow.

I might just start singing FCPX's praises yet.

Return to posts index

Ben Connors
on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:06:12 pm

Hey Mark,

One more thought: assuming that you're way more likely than me to get a feature request accepted for a future release...I thought I'd mention that having audio come through on templates seems would be a huge help. Seems like it would be a lot easier to implement in X too. I for one would dance around the office if that was in a future release.

Best,

Return to posts index

Isabella Chen
on Nov 6, 2013 at 10:33:38 pm

But what if the template is longer than the footage? I.e. the template 'footage' with the effects and behaviours is 2 seconds longer in front and I want to cut this part off. so the 12 sec footage fits with my 10 sec source media? Is this possible?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]