FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with Edge Collision in Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris Forge
Problem with Edge Collision in Motion 5
on Jan 4, 2013 at 3:12:21 am

Hello All

I'm working on a simple project and I've come across a problem with gravity and edge collision which I just learned about.
In my project I have a character falling in from the top of the screen and bouncing as he lands. It's working fine except I want him to land near the top of the screen (so he doesn't fall far). I have bottom face turned on but I cannot adjust the height to less than 247. Well I can but if I do he shoots of the bottom of the screen.
Any ideas on why this is happening or tips would be much appreciated! Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Problem with Edge Collision in Motion 5
on Jan 4, 2013 at 3:21:14 am

If you add a camera and switch to 3D, you can reposition your character by moving the camera.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Kris Forge
on Jan 4, 2013 at 1:06:14 pm

Thanks Mark. I could try that but he is actually landing on another object, and there are other elements in the scene including text so I don't want to get the perspective out of whack. Is there maybe way to make the object he lands on act like an edge?
I tried repel and attract be then he doesn't settle and keeps bobbing around which is kinda fun but not what I'm after.
Appreciate it, thanks.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 4, 2013 at 5:40:11 pm

Why not try adjusting the Height parameter for the Edge Collision behavior so that the bottom edge lines up where you want it, then turn off the Top Face option so that it doesn't get in the way. Works quite nicely, especially if you use the Gravity behavior for the falling object.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 4, 2013 at 10:38:55 pm

Apologies, I didn't look closely enough at your original post before answering.

You're right that there's something screwy about the Edge Collision behavior when you reduce the height below a certain amount.

The way I would do this is with an Oscillate behavior on the Y Position Transform set to Half Range, using a Ramp behavior on the Amplitude to gradually reduce the bounce height. That way you can position the result wherever you want very easily.

The Half Range option means that there will be a "collision" effect at the bottom.

Here's how I'd set it up:

Notice that I've adjusted the Phase (from the default of zero) so that the "ball" starts off screen at the top.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Kris Forge
on Jan 5, 2013 at 3:32:39 am

Fantastic, thanks for taking the time to show me that Simon. It looks to be just what I need. I'm glad i'm not the only one having trouble with the edge collision. I'm newish to this so didn't know if I was doing something wrong! I'll give Oscillate a try when I have a spare 5 and let you know how I get on.
Thanks

Return to posts index

James Copson
on Dec 9, 2014 at 3:02:21 pm

Hi, I know this is a very old post so sorry, but I can't seem to get the ramp to work following your guidance. the circle will just keep bouncing until the end of the behaviour on the timeline and then stops...

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Dec 9, 2014 at 4:32:42 pm

Here's a test project that shows you how to do the bounce technique using Oscillate behavior (set to half range) for the bounce and a Ramp behavior for the Amplitude (to slow it down):

8279_bounce.motn.zip

Hope that helps. Let me know if that's not what you meant.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Ross A Wilson
on Dec 3, 2015 at 9:58:44 pm

If anyone else comes across this problem, I found that disabling top face fixes it. Basically only enable the face you want it to interact with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]