FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading to Motion 5 but keeping FCP 7 - does this work?!

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Clark
Upgrading to Motion 5 but keeping FCP 7 - does this work?!
on Dec 30, 2012 at 7:29:25 pm

Hi All,

Perhaps this was answered elsewhere but I cannot find it.

I am currently using FCP7 and Motion 4.

Can I upgrade to Motion 5 without upgrading FCP, and still use Motion sequences in the FCP7 timeline?

Currently I do lots of effects with Motion 4. I put the Motion .MOTN file directly into a FCP7 timeline, and I "open in editor" to make quick adjustments to the Motion 4 file as needed.

Does this round-trip still work between FCP7 + Motion 5, or do I need to also upgrade to FCPX???

Also, is the move from Motion 4 to 5 worthwhile?

Thanks for any comments or links to more info!

MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 24GB memory - OSX10.6.8 FCP7

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Upgrading to Motion 5 but keeping FCP 7 - does this work?!
on Dec 31, 2012 at 4:37:27 am

I see no reason for you to upgrade to 5, which allows you to create fx for FCP X, but will not work at all with FCP 7.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on Dec 31, 2012 at 5:28:19 am

Mark,

Thanks for your reply. :-)

So, to clarify, Motion 5 does not round-trip with FCP7 at ALL -- is that correct?

My reasoning for going to M5 was that Motion 4 remains glitchy, as reported elsewhere in Creative Cow -- but we still use it pretty heavily for our productions. I was hoping for a more stable program... but maybe that's wishful thinking.

If I were to upgrade to FCPX, would I need Motion 5, too (i.e., if I want to continue to create Motion sequences, then Motion 4 won't work in FCPX, either)?

Your help is appreciated.

MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 24GB memory - OSX10.6.8 FCP7

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 31, 2012 at 6:04:20 am

Correct, Motion 5 won't round-trip with FCP 7. In fact, it won't roundtrip with FCP X either - it just doesn't work that way anymore - although in many respects, Motion 5 is much more integrated with FCP X than 4 was with 7, because it's used to create all the titles, transitions, effects, and generators in FCP X. It's also a complete rewrite and 64bit - but if you are using FCP 7, I'd stick with M4. Btw, I highly recommend FCP X.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Jeremy Jones
on Oct 21, 2014 at 12:47:20 pm

FCP7 user here. Although upgrading to OS X Yosemite 10.10, is great and runs great, one of the issues of making this jump is motion 4 does not work.

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on Oct 22, 2014 at 11:14:41 pm

My understanding is that FCP7/Motion4 will not work with any operating system past OSX 10.6.8. So going up to Yosemite would probably not work if you want to access FCP7 projects. A few years ago when this debate originally arose, it seemed that some editors were jumping the Apple ship and moving to Premiere, Avid, etc. I am keeping a system at 10.6.8 so that I can access old productions that were done with FCP7/Motion 4. This gives me the option to work on those projects (which happens from time to time) but new projects can be created on a newer system loaded with newer editing software.

Return to posts index

mark cookman
on Nov 4, 2014 at 7:20:41 pm

i am still using fcp7/motion fcs3 on Mavericks - it works.

Return to posts index

Wilson Converse
on Apr 27, 2017 at 10:48:22 pm

FCP7 and FCPX and Motion 5.3.1 works just fine on my Yosemite. FCPX has difficulty quitting. BTW Every time I upgrade to the newest operating system I clone the previous drive to a new drive so I can always go back (God forbid) if I need to. I am a video editor. :-)

Wilson
http://www.eyedit.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]