FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animate Single Letter in a Word

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Mailer
Animate Single Letter in a Word
on Nov 29, 2012 at 8:16:36 am

I am pretty sure I was able to achieve this some time ago, changing the Z position and orientation etc of a single character, but the details have apparently long slipped my mind.

I created a word and when I selected one letter and try to apply Sequence Text, everything I do in sequence text applies to the whole word.

I developed a workaround of sorts, which involved making a separate layer of each letter within a group, and manually positioning each letter...

But then I realized this is exactly the kind of workflow that is going to result in exponentially increasing work if I want to make changes later on.

Plus I know that I should be able to animate each letter of a word separately.

Can anyone advise as to the sequence of minor steps I seem to be overlooking to keep the word together as a single unit but animate individual letters therein?

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
Re: Animate Single Letter in a Word
on Nov 29, 2012 at 1:29:59 pm

Use the Adjust Glyph tool.

As you say, you can't selectively adjust characters using Sequence Text. It will always affect all the characters. All you can do is change the order in which it affects all the characters.

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 29, 2012 at 2:45:51 pm

Even when I select one character, pick Adjust Glyph (which itself is a little tricky to figure out) and change the Z value, it applies to the whole word...

Argh.

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Nov 29, 2012 at 4:41:52 pm

It's not an entirely straightforward process, but easy enough to do.

1. Type out your text

2. Add the Sequence Text behavior

3. Set up the basic sequence as you want

4. Select the text layer (not the sequence behavior), right click and select Transform Glyph

5. Select the character you want to modify

6. Go to the final frame of the sequence. Go into the Format tab of the Text properties in the Inspector. Add a keyframe for the Offset. Go back to the beginning frame and adjust the offset as desired.

7. Presumably any parameter that can be animated will work with this, so you can now easily change each glyph without having a bunch of separate text layers.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]