FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio doesn't follow video on timing change

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wilson
Audio doesn't follow video on timing change
on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:56:08 pm

I've put a video clip into the timeline and changed its start point using the timing control in the Media Tab. The video shows as expected but the audio that plays is from the first frame of the media clip.

Still using Motion 4.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
Re: Audio doesn't follow video on timing change
on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:18:48 am

I'm assuming you've checked to make sure they are linked?

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Nov 29, 2012 at 1:51:46 pm

Yup. All locked up. I was able to find a strange workaround.

The in-point I wanted for both audio and video was at 37:02 into the clip.

I changed the timing setting to zero which synched them back up. Then I dragged the clip in the timeline to the first frame of the project. Then I moved my playhead to 37:02 and hit I to trim the start of the clip. Then I dragged the new trimmed clip back to later in the timeline where it belonged. There you go.

I did have all sorts of behaviors and masking on the clip - wonder if they were causing the problems. I *might* have unlocked them at one-point and then re-locked them. I wonder if unlocking a clip from its audio does some damage to the timing attribute.

Anyway, problem solved but I think I'll go back to my usual workflow which is exporting self-contained movies with the in and out points I want in the first place.

Andrew Wilson

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Nov 29, 2012 at 3:48:10 pm

I think the reason for the issue is that when you do a Send to Motion it actually splits the video and audio into separate components (even if they are linked) since it is assuming (which I think is silly) that the duration of the Motion project is always going to stay the same.

It seems the audio is only being used in Motion as a reference since you'll notice in the FCP sequence the video layer is turned into a Motion sequence but the audio track remains unchanged.

Importing self-contained movies will definitely solve the problem since the video and audio will come into Motion linked.

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Nov 29, 2012 at 5:33:53 pm

Thanks.. .that's a possibility but I never use Send to Motion. I just dropped in a clip that was already in my capture scratch folder.

I've learned that FCP's "Send to..(anything)" just doesn't work all that well.

Your point is well worth remembering.

Andrew Wilson

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Nov 29, 2012 at 6:04:49 pm

Ah.

One thing that does happen (which I think you alluded to) is that if you unlink the audio, change the timing of the video, and then relink, it's not really 'linked' in the sense that thein point of the audio will now follow the in point of the video. If you retime (pull the whole video layer over) by adjusting the in and out point simultaneously), the audio will move with it, but not by the in point.

Curiously, if you manage to pull the in point of the video back to original position, unselect and then reselect the audio will follow it again.

I agree that Send To is a world of hurt...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]