FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 4 will Not Save As, Open, Export

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Murphy
Motion 4 will Not Save As, Open, Export
on Nov 16, 2012 at 8:55:47 pm

Hello All.

In a bit of a jam here... Motion 4 decided that it will not Save, Save As, or Export from the File menu. For instance... If I open Motion 4 and select File - Open, no dialogue box opens to enable me to select a file. If however I find a Motion file in my Finder and try to open it from there, Motion WILL open it... but if I make a change and try to Save As I get the same issue... no dialogue box appears to let me complete the Save As.

I have deleted the plist file as instructed by Apple which didn't work... I also followed their directions and completely uninstalled Motion 4 and did a fresh re-install... still the same issue exists.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be happening???

Jim

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
Re: Motion 4 will Not Save As, Open, Export
on Nov 20, 2012 at 8:28:39 pm

No thoughts on this?

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Nov 20, 2012 at 10:49:58 pm

There could be a lot of reasons something like this could happen, so your best bet is to try and narrow down what the potential problem is. (or at least what it isn't.) I would check the following:

Within Motion itself:

Does the same problem happen for a new Motion project, or just projects that have already been created?

Does the problem occur with every single project, or just certain ones?

Is there an issue with the memory cache or autosave vault? Does adjusting the values make any difference?

System wide:

Does the issue occur when Motion has the system to itself, when other applications are open, etc.?
Do any other FCS3 applications experience a similar issue?
Do any other non-related applications have issues?
Have there been any hardware or software updates that might have affected it?
Is Motion 4 up to date with any ProApps software updates?

One odd step to try that is a total shot in the dark and probably has no chance of working- open the projects that are having issues with in TextEdit and change the xml value to 3 rather than 4. When you try to open it Motion will probably say that you are opening a previous version. Choose to open as untitled and see if it gives you the save and export options back.

It probably should go without saying that you should probably make a backup copy just to make sure nothing terrible and irreparable happens, but I guess I'll say it anyway!

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:53:01 pm

SO the problem seems to be within Motion 4 only. All other FCS3 apps function just fine. Motion is up to date and the problem occurs regardless of what else is running.

The issue occurn no matter what the project is... new or pre-existing. I have not adjusted the autosave values or cache - I will try that but my feeling is that it may not help. I'll report back on that.

The only recent update was to Final Cut X. I am running Motion 4 and 5, as well has Final Cut 7 and X. All have been installed for a while now with no issues. I cannot be sure if the Final Cut X update is the culprit however I will uninstall and see if that remedies the issue.

I'll report back when I have tried these two things.

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Nov 21, 2012 at 10:37:50 pm

So here's the update... I completely uninstalled FCPX and BOTH versions of Motion (4 & 5). I re installed Motion 4 ONLY... still the same issue so this eliminated any issues with Motion 4 conflicting in any way with Motion 5 or FCPX.

I also toyed with the autosave, cache and saving a project by changing the Version to 3... none have fixed the issue.

Wondering what else to do.

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Nov 25, 2012 at 6:02:54 am

Hmmm... I have no idea. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Nov 26, 2012 at 6:51:00 pm

not a problem. This seems to be an issue no one seems to have any idea how to remedy. If I discover a fix I will report back.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]