FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 5 vs 4

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cooney
Motion 5 vs 4
on Oct 6, 2012 at 2:36:29 pm

I'm using Motion 4 and FCP and AE and in the process of making the switch to Premiere Pro and potentially Creative Suite exclusively. I'm just finding that Motion, compressor and FCP7 are starting to slowly breakdown ... after recent OS updates and new pluggins on the market it seems Studio 3 is starting to die a slow death... any way... I use Motion 4 and compressor quite a bit and my question is... is the operation and functionality of Motion 5 and the new compressor similar to that of Motion 4 and Compressor 3? Or is it more like a new learning curve - like FCP7.0 to FCPX? Has anyone enjoyed the switch? I don't think at this point I can, for professional needs, move toward FCPX , but I'm wonderign about the rest of the suite.. thanks.

MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion 5 vs 4
on Oct 6, 2012 at 2:56:03 pm

Motion 5 works almost exactly the same as Motion 4 - except that the UI is darker, it's fully 64-bit (completely rewritten), and has powerful rigging and publishing features for making effects for FCP X (which you probably won't use). On the downside, the UI isn't as configurable and you can only have one project open at a time. Compressor is basically the same.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Oct 6, 2012 at 3:14:52 pm

Thanks. That's good to know. So I can pretty much begin using Motion5 out of the box as well as compressor? Do you know of any ocnflicts wiht havign earlier versions installed? wonder if I should do a clean installation of just FCP7.0.. I wouldn't have the integration.. But I pretty much export form motion to FCP anyway. I don't really like working wiht Motion within an FCP timeline... thanks so much. unless there's aything else I need to know I may make the purchase. :-)

Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Oct 6, 2012 at 3:21:09 pm

You can't roundtrip between FCP 7 and Motion 5. You'll need to export rendered movies from M5 instead. If you have both M4 and M5 it shouldn't be a problem, but I would rename M5 so that if you *do* try to roundtrip from FCP 7, M5 won't launch.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Oct 6, 2012 at 3:21:27 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Oct 8, 2012 at 10:37:48 am

"Send to Compressor" never really worked for me before Motion 5.
In my experience as soon as you had a little bit of complexity in you motion project, something would go wrong when sending to Compressor without exporting first.
That has all changed with Motion 5. Now I can send my project to Compressor, and then keep working in Motion while it renders. Well worth the $50 if you ask me.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Oct 12, 2012 at 4:50:13 pm

Hi Mark...

One feature I love about Motion are the abilities to:

a) Copy and paste from one project to another
b) Via the Browser, Drag Projects into other projects

Can you still copy and paste if you can only have one project open at a time?

does drag and drop still work?

Thanks...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 14, 2012 at 7:31:56 pm

[Alex Udell] "a) Copy and paste from one project to another
b) Via the Browser, Drag Projects into other projects"

Yes, both of these are still possible with Motion 5 and work just fine.

However, as you know you can't have more than one project open in this version which can be an annoying limitation at times, though not unworkably so.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Oct 15, 2012 at 1:48:05 pm

Hey Simon...

So how does copy and paste work?

Open Project, Select, Copy, Close Project

Open Destination Project, Paste?

Thanks...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Oct 15, 2012 at 1:53:06 pm

[Alex Udell] "So how does copy and paste work?

Open Project, Select, Copy, Close Project

Open Destination Project, Paste?"

Yes, I'm afraid so - it can be pretty tiresome if it's something you need to do a lot of. Maybe easier just to import a whole project and unpick it.

Hope Apple fix this at some point.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]