FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 5 and Vector Graphics?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jade Maxwell
Motion 5 and Vector Graphics?
on Jul 19, 2012 at 3:55:37 pm

My work ended up getting me Apple Motion 5 which is really fun to mess around with so far. But there are two questions I couldn't find the answer for when Googling. I'm hoping someone could help.

1) I have two screens and found the "show Canvas in second monitor" thing and it looks ok, but what's left on the first monitor has each of the columns file browser/library/inspector, timeline, and timeline itself are either too big or too small width wise. Is there any way to adjust the panels/windows of Motion to my specification? I want to have only the canvas on the second monitor, and the rest on the first, and sorted to how I like. But it stops at a certain width and you can't go any smaller.

2) Is there anyway to import a vector graphic, like an Illustrator file, where I can still adjust each individual layers? All the things I found about this pertains to Motion 4.

When I import an Illustrator file into Motion, it just imports as a picture that has been merged. I had watched a tutorial on something similar to what I want to do, but it was for Motion 4 and they said that with a psd file, you can click and hold over the canvas and you can have the option of adding all layers and such. So I did that by converting the file to psd, and doing the whole click and hover, then import all layers. And it worked! I have all the layers. EXCEPT, now the picture doesn't show up. :(

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks~

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion 5 and Vector Graphics?
on Jul 19, 2012 at 4:15:04 pm

Sorry, no on both counts. You can, however, with vector artwork, disable "Fixed Resolution' so that you can scale the layer as large as you like with no loss of resolution.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Jade Maxwell
on Jul 19, 2012 at 7:32:33 pm

:( Thanks for the reply.

I did, however, learn about that fixed resolution thing by watching your tutorial. :)

Do you have any idea why the psd are not showing up when I import as layers though?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 19, 2012 at 7:42:41 pm

In Photoshop, make sure the file is 8-bit (not 16) and the color space is RGB (not CMYK or anything else) - if that's not it, also check that you've rasterized any layer effects (glow, stroke, drop shadow, etc.).

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Jade Maxwell
on Jul 19, 2012 at 10:53:17 pm

It worked! Thank you, you are amazing. :D

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 19, 2012 at 10:58:43 pm

So what was the issue? Your solution may help others if you post what it was.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Jade Maxwell
on Jul 20, 2012 at 5:32:24 pm

The graphic was done in Illustrator so I had export it as a psd and saved it. But it was saved as a CMYK. I just made sure to save it as RGB. Now the only other problem that I seem to be seeing is that once imported into Motion, the square have stairstep when you zoom in and it looks ragged.

We're trying to recreate a pile of paper so there's a bunch of layers at an angle, and importing it into Motion seems to not keep the quality of a vector graphic.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 20, 2012 at 6:23:50 pm

If you resolution independence you have to import the Illustrator file or a .pdf file.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Jade Maxwell
on Jul 20, 2012 at 6:35:04 pm

But then we would lost the ability to edit in Motion with the layers, correct?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 20, 2012 at 6:53:39 pm

Correct you need to save separate Illustrator files for each layer,

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Jade Maxwell
on Jul 20, 2012 at 10:05:05 pm

Ok, thanks for your help. I have another question... I'm trying to mess with the particle emitters to kind of do an effect where the stack of paper are going into a computer screen. I'm having trouble making it go on a path I want and stop at a certain point (AKA, when it goes "into" the computer")

What's the best way to do this?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 20, 2012 at 11:49:33 pm

You could animate the particles along a path using the Motion Path behavior. I have a tutorial dedicated to working with particle emitters that you might want to check out at ripple training.com - just watching the free excerpt movies may help enough to get you started.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Jade Maxwell
on Jul 23, 2012 at 8:25:09 pm

I have something that works for me.

I used the particle emitter to emit upwards off screen, then duplicate it to fall back onto the screen as if it's one continuous flow.

Now (hopefully) one last question: How do I make the particle emitter stop a certain point on the screen?

I have the paper falling into the computer, but it goes pass the screen and I've tried a couple things to cover it up (masking, bringing the picture forward to be on top of the emitter...) but nothing seems to work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]