FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Export Videos WIth a Transparent BKG in Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AJ Robinson
How to Export Videos WIth a Transparent BKG in Motion 5
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:22:02 pm

To Fellow Motion Users,

For a long time I have been wondering how to export my videos with a transparent BKG. What I mean by transparent is that when you pull the video back into you sequence (group), it will have already been keyed.

So, how do you do it?

First, you need to be able to convert your video. I found a great video converter that's free [converter is http://www.squared5.com/]
You have to convert your video to either an animation or PNG codec. I personally like Animation better.

In Motion you need to key the footage. For videos with a black BKG using the luma keyer is best.
Once you have a nice key, delete or hide all BKG media. Set the BKG to transparent. This can be done in either the top menu bar or in the project properties.

Once done, you export the video. The first option you have is to choose the codec. LEAVE IT ON CURRENT SETTINGS, because the video has to be exported as an animation file. Then go to Render tab. Make sure the first selection is on Color + Alpha. From there just export the video. Once exported, you video will have a transparent BKG when you put it into video editing software such as FCP, Motion, AE, Premiere, and such. Have fun!

I may be posting a tutorial soon on creative cow, youtube or something like that.

I hope this post has helped you.
If you have any question please leave them below.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: How to Export Videos WIth a Transparent BKG in Motion 5
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:29:10 pm

Why first convert the video? You don't need to.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:30:37 pm

You can bypass all of this and just import the Motion project file in FCP and it will keep it transparent.

If you need a video clip then simply just export out the project as a ProRes 4444 or Animation codec set to Millions +. I thought if you are on Motion 5 then Animation isn't an option. There are other codecs but I find that to be the easiest.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

AJ Robinson
on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:41:20 pm

Heya guys well thanks a lot. Apple ProRes4444 works.
Stephen smith, the problem with what you said is that Motion 5 cannot export to an animation. If it could, I would have done this. Motion 5's exporting menu is very limited. I think I included a picture of it's options. Plus, from Motion, there is no option to chose for Millions of colors +. Also, for users who don't have FCP like me or want to put up keyed footage for others to use, you want to be able to export with a trans BKG.
You were right in a sense. Motion 5 doesn't have Animation as a codec, but since I converted my video to a Animation codec, then in Motion I left the codec on [current settings], thus exporting it as an Animation.
So, exporting you videos with the codec as ProRes 4444 and setting the BKG to transparent will make your video's BKG transparent. Thanks all.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 15, 2012 at 4:10:32 pm

[AJ]
Stephen smith, the problem with what you said is that Motion 5 cannot export to an animation.

AJ, re-read what I wrote. I never wrote that Motion 5 exports the Animation codec. Motion 4 can do Animation and ProRess 4444 set to Millions +. That is one of the many reasons I nuked Motion 5 from my machine 30 minutes after I installed it. But as you have learned. Motion 5 can still do ProRes 4444 which I said it could.

[AJ]
Plus, from Motion, there is no option to chose for Millions of colors +

I don't have Motion 5, but if there is a transparent Alpha channel then it is set to Million of color +. Click on the Advanced button and then you will get an option to change its depth. You can have an Animation or ProRes 4444 clip with out a transparency if you wanted to.

I'm happy to help and best of luck.

[AJ]
Also, for users who don't have FCP like me or want to put up keyed footage for others to use, you want to be able to export with a trans BKG.

Once again, re-read what I wrote. I gave you two options...not one. I never said you shouldn't export out a clip, other wise I would have never told you how to do it.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]