Motion 5 / FCP X Rigging question

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dirk de Jong
Motion 5 / FCP X Rigging question
on May 17, 2012 at 1:20:33 pm

Here's what I'd like to do but I'm not sure if it is possible or not ;

- I'm in Motion 5 creating an effect template for FCP X
- I'm using an FxPlug filter in the effect and I've published a handful of the parameters from the filter so they will appear when the template is applied in FCP X
- I've created a Rig with a popup menu widget and the snap shots that are the popup menu choices set these filter parameters in various arrangements, and I've published the popup menu widget as well
- In FCP X, I can select a popup menu choice and it correctly sets the parameters in the intended arrangement, but if you try to further adjust those parameters using their original controls (sliders, etc.) it is not possible (the slider snaps back to the value determined by the rigged popup menu)

I understand this is all working as expected (the rig's control over the parameters is persistent), but what I want to do is to have the rig set the parameter values at the instant I choose a snapshot, but then allow those parameters to be adjusted further - so the popup menu would be used to reset to various snapshots. Is there a way to achieve this ? Can a rig by dynamically enabled / disabled from within FCP X ? I was looking for a way to publish a disable / enable checkbox for the popup menu itself but I don't see a way to do that... and even if there was a way I'm not sure if it would leave the parameters set to the current value.

I'm thinking of experimenting with the idea of applying a behavior to the original parameter that would offer some control for scaling it and then publishing the control for scaling the parameter rather than the original parameter itself - hoping that this would allow for tweaking beyond the snapshot set by the popup menu... but it seems like maybe my original objective shouldn't be so hard to achieve

I was also kind of disappointed to find that it seems that it's not possible to apply a behavior to a rig widget ?

TIA for any suggestions.

Dirk de Jong

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion 5 / FCP X Rigging question
on May 17, 2012 at 1:25:24 pm

You can't make rigs "conditional" like you'd like. Frequently you can work around this by grouping layers and then publishing properties of the group, but there's no way I know of to do what you are suggesting: have the rig set the values of some parameters, but then allow the user to change those exact same parameters.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
Re: Motion 5 / FCP X Rigging question
on May 17, 2012 at 2:03:56 pm

thanks for the quick response - time to change my design approach a bit then

Return to posts index