FORUMS: list search recent posts

using ProRes with Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Waterwash
using ProRes with Motion 5
on Apr 19, 2012 at 4:09:52 pm

I have a 5 minute video segment that I exported from FCPX into Motion 5 as ProRes. I'm working with Stabilization and Tracking behaviors and trying to figure out why my 2011 imac i7 keeps falling to it's knees. Should I not be importing ProRes into Motion?

Thanks for any help,
Jim

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: using ProRes with Motion 5
on Apr 19, 2012 at 4:15:23 pm

ProRes in Motion is fine, but tracking/stabilizing a 5 minute HD clip is a massive job and will create a huge cache file. Normally you would stabilize or track much shorter shots - can you break it down?

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Jim Waterwash
on Apr 19, 2012 at 4:33:55 pm

Thanks, good to know. I'll see if I can work with smaller chunks at a time.

I wouldn't mind waiting, but as it is the program will not even function reliably. As soon as Motion looses focus (I click on the finder or some popup occurs), it seems to just stop the analysis. It's strange that the Activity Monitor never shows Motion utilizing much of the other cores on the CPU.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 19, 2012 at 4:39:17 pm

Motion does all the heavy lifting on the GPU, not the CPU.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Jim Waterwash
on Apr 19, 2012 at 4:42:38 pm

Lesson learned: Don't buy an iMac, even one with an AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 19, 2012 at 4:44:36 pm

Actually, the new iMacs are fantastic with Motion5 and FCP X in my experience (and I teach all over) - much better than a MacPro, even with a beefy card.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Jim Waterwash
on Apr 19, 2012 at 4:55:56 pm

Without knowing how the internals of Motion works, there seems to be something else going on.

I can load up the project that has the 5 minute ProRes video that has been previously analyzed for smoothing (not sure if it ever completed), and all I have to do is click on a layer and the ball spins for 2 minutes. In FCPX, they show you when the program is working on tasks. I like that. Is it possible that Motion is still working on analyzing my video? Motion.app keeps going to about 100.1 % of my CPU, there seems to be no disk bottle neck. I'm not even trying to play the timeline, I'm just clicking on a layer.. Seems strange that that would be the GPU, if I'm not even playing. Anyway, thanks for your help so far.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 19, 2012 at 4:59:26 pm

View > Background Tasks.

Motion attempts to load all your video into RAM so it's best to work with shorter clips.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Sef pinney
on May 22, 2012 at 1:11:10 am

This is a known issue, but without a solid technical answer. Maybe it's par for the course.... as Mark says about GPU lifting.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3313985?start=0&tstart=0
It may be that Motion uses the GPU heavily, it may also be that "Analysis" relies on "Playback" as I've heard it suggested.

Either way, it's just dumb to force the user to NOT switch spaces, or not use any other program while Motion is Analyzing. Try it. Motion will continue analyzing as long as IT RETAINS focus. I can pop up Quicksilver in front, for example, but not TextEdit, Preview or anything else, that will steal focus.
it's a Pro's Pain in the Ass to have any program NOT allow a background process when said process can take MINUTES. This isn't the iPad here. I call this a bug, not a feature.

I have a MBP 2011 w/ the AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, and it's no picnic. But with an SSD, ProRes, and No graphics 'Switching' Pref I can work fine in FCPX. Motion is the annoyance. Even Compressor, as lame as it's outdated, clunky interface... works in the background.

How is Motion more complex / Pro control / feature rich, and yet more CPU crippled than FCPX? For example, Retiming, Stabilization, Key framing, I Don't know.... Mark?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]