FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 to Motion 4 - file format question/problem

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alden Brigham
FCP7 to Motion 4 - file format question/problem
on Mar 7, 2012 at 7:14:44 am

I have a DVCPRO HD sequence (all the clips were shot that way) in FCP that is compressed with Apple ProRes422 HQ. I want to roundtrip to Motion and keep the same frame & compression format. For some reason, even with 960 x 720 as my preferred sequence setting in Motion, when I send my project to Motion some of the files end up 960 x 720 and some are 1280 x 720, AND the ones that remain as 960 x 720 are DVCPRO HD and the 1280 x 720 files are Apple ProRes 422 HQ, even though all the files in my FCP sequence are 960 x 720 Apple ProRes.

Why is this happening? I'd be grateful for any help! I haven't used Motion much so perhaps this is elementary, but I can't figure out what's going on and it's really holding me up.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: FCP7 to Motion 4 - file format question/problem
on Mar 7, 2012 at 3:57:45 pm

DVCPRO HD squeezes the image when recording it and then stretches it out when it gets into the NLE. Think of it like Anamorphic. So 1440 x 1080 is really 1920 x 1080 in a nutshell. This shouldn't be a problem unless you are seeing distortion and you images are squeezed or something.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Alden Brigham
on Mar 12, 2012 at 8:16:16 pm

Ok thanks Stephen. I sent it again, and think my issue has to do with render files from Color.

From my FCP timeline (which shows all the clips as .mxf (960x720), both my pre color corrected files (.mxf), along with the 1280 x 720 Apple ProRes files exported from Color back to FCP (the sequence being used) are being sent to Motion. The tricky thing is the 2 versions give the clips very different names, and formats.

So now I realize that's my basic problem, I have the DVDPRO HD footage in my Motion project, and the .mov APR files created when I exported from Color back to FCP. I'd like to work with the color corrected, APR (1280x720) files, but they have very different names and don't show up in either timeline (FCP sequence or Motion's) so I don't see how to work with them.

This has to be a real newbie issue, but I'm stuck! Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 12, 2012 at 8:40:20 pm

FCP can't edit .MXF files. You have to log and transfer the .MXF files in the log and transfer window where FCP 7 will convert them to quick time files (.mov)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]