FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image Masks in the Shape of words in Motion4

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bauman
Image Masks in the Shape of words in Motion4
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:54:07 pm

So I have a video clip in 1080 30p in Apple Motion 4 and I want it to be viewed through large text, if that makes sense. In other words, I want to have an image mask in the shape of words over my video clip. I'm wondering if this is something I should do in photoshop, and then export the png in the shape of the words in apple motion, or is there way to create an precise image mask in the shape of my words. I've looked over the manual for apple motion to find some answers, and it wasn't very helpful to me, or maybe I just didn't understand it well.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Image Masks in the Shape of words in Motion4
on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:16:03 pm

Super simple. Type your text. Add an image mask to the video. Add the text layer to the well in the HUD.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on Feb 8, 2012 at 10:07:07 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but when I open up the HUD there doesn't seem to be any drop zone or well for me to put the text layer into. I typed in my text, imported my video clip which took up the screen, went to image mask, and made a rectangular mask over the video (so when I move the mask away from the video image, it just shows the black, and I opened up the HUD, and tried to drag the text group into the HUD, but to no avail. Am I adding my image mask improperly perhaps?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Feb 8, 2012 at 10:12:50 pm

You don't draw a mask. You select the video, then choose Object>Image Mask. The HUD will then display the well for your text layer to be dragged to.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

David Bauman
on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:22:01 pm

Thank you very much! Works great.

Return to posts index