FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating 3D text in Motion 4

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Barnes
Creating 3D text in Motion 4
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:50:29 pm

Hi,

I am new to Motion. I have Motion 4 as part of the Final Cut Studio package. Hopefully, this is not too much of a newbie question:

I would like to create a 3D phone number that slides and rotates up in a commercial. I combed the web for tutorials. I watched one several times but the adding a camera part has me perplexed. I made a QuickTime movie of a Final Cut Pro project because the project has mattes that can't be sent to Motion. I opened the QT file in Motion 4. I added a camera, created the text and added a replicator.

All good but when I go to slide and twist the text, the whole video imported from FCP moves. I want to keep the QT file in 2D and the text in 3D. I toggled the 3D/2D switch in Motion and couldn't get it to work.

Do I need to assign the text to a separate group to animate in 3D? If yes, how do you do this? Is there a clearer tutorial that any of you know of that covers this?

Would appreciate any assistance as I am very much stuck!!!!

Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Creating 3D text in Motion 4
on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:07:55 pm

Mike, you are jumping into the deep end of the pool. Yes, one way would to put the text in a separate group. Object > New Group.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Michael Barnes
on Feb 2, 2012 at 3:32:50 pm

Thanks Mark. Do you know how to make a group rotate on the Y axis about 60 degrees? I have a tutorial and I get stuck at this point.

Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Feb 2, 2012 at 4:28:59 pm

Make sure it's a 3D group, select it, and in the Inspector, open Rotation and change the Y value. Or do it in the Canvas with the Adjust 3D Transform tool

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]