FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 4 - different particles in a frame

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dirk Pepperd
Motion 4 - different particles in a frame
on Jan 30, 2012 at 3:14:14 am

I am trying to build a frame in motion with a few different random particles, but having trouble building a mask so the particles just appear in the frame and the center will be transparent.

This frame is to cover the edges of a photo montage in FCP. I had to move images around so they lined up right and want to hide the black space....

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steven Topham
Re: Motion 4 - different particles in a frame
on Jan 30, 2012 at 7:04:32 am

Not sure I completely follow you. Are you building one still frame that a video will play under, or are you creating a moving particle emitter that will vary and change frame by frame?

If the first, you just need to change your settings in the preferences to make the background transparent.

If the second, it's likely the same answer; check your preferences and settings. Only other reason would be that the layers you added to the group inadvertently cover more area than you realize. Click on the group, instead of each individual layer, and you will see how far it stretches. That doesn't necessarily mean that the whole area it covers isn't transparent. Most particle emitters cover a large area, most of which is transparent most of the time. If your manipulating particle emitters from the library, you shouldn't have a problem. If you're making your own, then trace your steps and see which setting may be causing an area to be covered.

And the only other thing I can think of beyond that is that you are exporting the project wrong.

Return to posts index

Dirk Pepperd
on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:04:48 pm

Steven, Thanks for your quick response! It's really both things I'm trying to do. I guess it boils down to getting that center part of the frame to have the transparent properties. I imported the frame from Photoshop so initally the transparency is fine. The challenge I'm having is getting the center of the frame to remain transparent when I apply the particle generators so the particles just appear in the frame border and not in the center where the pictures should be showing up.

Return to posts index

Steven Topham
on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:53:49 pm

I have, surprisingly, always been able to do everything I need in Motion alone and haven't imported a file first made in photoshop.

If you are importing a .PNG that you made in photoshop, then you shouldn't have any problems at all.
I don't even know if there is an option to import .psd, but that would then depend on the compatibility between the two programs.

So, make sure the file you're importing is .PNG in order to be transparent. If you're already doing that, I will try to simulate what you're doing when I get home and see if the same thing happens for me.

Return to posts index

Dirk Pepperd
on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:12:32 pm

Steve, The psd file can be dragged and dropped in motion and does keep the transparency. I just need to figure out how to get the middle to be transparent and get the particles just on the outside in the frame.

Return to posts index

Steven Topham
on Feb 2, 2012 at 2:53:46 am

Hey Dirk, sorry for the belated reply. If Anders' response isn't your ticket, then the issue lies in your file creation somewhere along the pipeline. To recreate your situation, I tried the following:
- Opened a photoshop template with 1080 settings. Stuck to one layer, cut out the middle with the rectangle selection tool and colored the border that remained. Saved the psd.
- Imported the .psd into motion as one group. In a second group, I simply chose a particle emitter from the library and placed it atop the border.
- Exported the ugly little file as .mov.
- Imported that .mov into FCP and placed it on the timeline. My video played fine within the border.

Sorry I couldn't locate anything in particular. But it's either a mistake in your pipeline sequence, or if you're making the particle emitter yourself, then it can hopefully be remedied through Anders' suggestion.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Feb 1, 2012 at 9:15:06 am

In the emitter controls, set the Shape to Rectangle and the Arrangement to Outline

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]