<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Coleman
Color Management in Motion 4: How?
on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:57:45 pm

I have a client's graphic in .psd with a sRGB blue of
r=110
g=153
b=212

It looks good in Photoshop in sRGB mode that it was created in. It matches their web color that I see in my Safari browser.
OK. So far so good.

When I import that file into Motion, the blue turns into some sort of lighter, paler powder-puffy blue.

If I create a rectangle in Motion and fill it with those rgb values above, the rectangle looks about right - darker and deeper than the graphic looks after import-- very similar to the graphic in the Photoshop window.

So how do I get the psd graphic to appear the right color in Motion when I import the file?

FCS 3

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Color Management in Motion 4: How?
on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:54:25 am

As opposed to Motion 5, Motion 4 is not a color-managed application. In other words, it does not read color profiles attached to images.
This short video may help explain the situation:

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Nov 30, 2011 at 1:07:13 pm

I viewed that clip before posting. Nice tip. Thank you. However that seems to address getting a color created in Motion to match the rgb values of another. I'm trying to get the graphic to display the right color in Motion and when exported.

Color in Photoshop = Color in Motion = Color in FCP = Color in QT Export Movie for Web.

Since first post it seems that the color in Motion doesn't look like the color in the resultant Export when it's finished and it doesn't look like the color when it's imported into FCP 7. I'll have to do some further testing on this to confirm that. I assume the export difference out of Motion is some sort of QT gamma setting that is different than FCP's.

So if Motion ignores the color profile, what color space is it using?

Return to posts index

Jay Cederholm
on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:03:25 pm

Hey Jeff,

I came across this issue a while back as well.

One thing I recall doing is changing the gamma setting for Photoshop files in Motion to 2.2 rather than the default 1.8

I would also make sure the color coordinate indicator in motion is turned on and use that for a reference.

Additionally I would also use the DigitalColorMeter application located in the Utilities folder of Applications.

Here's a link to a post I had on the Apple forums as well.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/13277895#13277895

I hope this helps....

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:49:58 pm

Excellent response.
THAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOTION:
-Made my gamma in Motion 2.22 just because that setting seemed to match the blue the best.
-Color coordinate indicator was on, but it reads in decimals or percentages instead of 0-255. I didn't find that much help except within Motion to do comparisons.

DIGITAL COLOR METER
-Very helpful. With it, I could accurately compare the web color displayed in Safari with the color displayed in QT Movie to see how close they were to each other.

Return to posts index

Jay Cederholm
on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:55:18 pm

Hey Jeff,

Glad I was able to help.

By the way, the reason the color coordinate indicator reads in decimals is because, I believe, you have your Motion project set up to 16 bit. You can temporarily change it back to 8 bit to get the readings you're looking for...then you can change it back to 16 bit for final export/import into FCP.

Jay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]