FORUMS: list search recent posts

Key out White on white cyc shoot?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Key out White on white cyc shoot?
on Nov 9, 2011 at 9:47:08 pm

I have subject shot on a white cyc and wish to key out the white and replace with a white plate from the background. The cyc only takes up the middle of the screen and the rest of the set is exposed, which can be and will be masked out. How can I key out the white without loosing detail in the subject and having to create a ton of garbage mattes? I have ProRes footage at 1080p29.97.

Problem is that the white cyc is not lite the best and the shots white balance changes due to poor camera work. So some of the white cyc has a yellowish tint. This is only for internal purposes so it doesn't need to be great. Any ideas.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Key out White on white cyc shoot?
on Nov 9, 2011 at 9:52:53 pm

Try the Luma Key filter.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Nov 9, 2011 at 9:58:46 pm

Tried that already. The key pulls too much white out of the subject. And would then mask out the face to leave that area alone but there's a bunch of movement and I'd have to track it.

forgot to mention that this is people dancing in front of white cyc and will be set to music.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 9, 2011 at 11:54:17 pm

Sounds more like a job for Davinci Resolve than the Luma keyer. And next time consider using a camera with a built-in waveform monitor and vectorscope- they can make all the difference for these types of shoots.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Nov 10, 2011 at 7:41:01 pm

true. unfortunately i didn't shoot this and our in-house people live by the "we'll fix it in post" mantra. makes my job really interesting. thx

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]