FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I get Andy Neil's "Write On Text" to work in Motion 5

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Jackson
How can I get Andy Neil's "Write On Text" to work in Motion 5
on Nov 4, 2011 at 6:02:56 pm

I have worked through Andy Neil's tutorial (on this site) for "Write On Text" but cannot get it to work in Motion 5. I get so far and can get the paint strokes to animate but when the mask is embeded to the text group there is no disclosure of the underlying text.

Any advice please.

Fred

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: How can I get Andy Neil's "Write On Text" to work in Motion 5
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:19:31 pm

Hey Fred. Someone brought this to my attention awhile back. There appears to be a bug in Motion 5 where shape animation isn't being respected inside the mask which is why it's not working properly. I suggested sending feedback to Apple via the feedback menu to make them aware of the bug. The more feedback they get, the more likely this will get fixed.

The only workaround I could find is to export the animated shape as a prores 4x4 clip and reimport to use as the mask source.

Hope this helps,

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Fred Jackson
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:32:27 pm

Thanks Andy,

I think I will need to go to the hairdresser tomorrow, I hardly have any hair left I have been pulling it out for the past 2 Hrs.

I will post back to Apple and can try out your workaround.

Best Regards

Fred

Return to posts index

Ross Hunter
on Mar 1, 2012 at 12:05:23 am

Last night I tried Andy's write on effect in Motion 5.0.2 and it worked for me.

The problem I'm having is with the word "the". The handwriting font I'm using (Californya) has a crossed "t" that extends through the loop of the "h". The width of the "h" stroke varies so I can't make the mask work. To make it wide enough to cover most of the letter form, reveals a bit of the "t" cross when the "h" is drawn.

Does my question make sense? Any ideas on how to make it work better?

Ross Hunter

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:51:15 am

Glad to see its working again. It seemed to have been a bug with 5.0. Regarding your problem, there is a way to fix it, but it's a little difficult to explain. Basically, you need to change your stroke from a solid (under style) to airbrush. This gives you access to the advanced controls for your stroke. Go to the stroke tab and under the width over stroke parameter, you can add keyframes and control how wide the line is at exactly the point where it crosses the T. Hopefully you can work it out.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Ross Hunter
on Mar 1, 2012 at 12:20:15 pm

Wonderful. I'll try that. Thank you very much for your reply and guidance.

Ross

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]