FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue with Motion 3

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ash Reeves
Issue with Motion 3
on Oct 5, 2011 at 9:57:56 pm

I am trying to make a clip a few seconds in length run in slow motion in FCP, and quite frankly, the results are horrible. I've heard that Motion is the way forward to get results, so I have sent said clip to Motion. But here is the problem...

I have about 50 odd gb of hard drive space. But as soon as I select Optical Flow for my clip it says I don't have enough hard drive space, and on further inspection it turns out I only have about 200 or so of mb space left! What is going on?

I tried to overlook this obscurity and deleted some stuff to free up for space (about 5gb). This allows me to perform an optical flow. However, it says it will take about 28 hours to do. Which is just ridiculous! Obviously there are a couple of serious issues here. Is anyone able to shed some light on any of them? Thankyou.

Return to posts index

mark pigott
Re: Issue with Motion 3
on Oct 6, 2011 at 5:51:17 pm

Did you export the clip at the length you want it? Otherwise Motion will take it in with the original
in and out point!

[Ash Reeves] "I am trying to make a clip a few seconds in length run in slow motion in FCP, and quite frankly, the results are horrible. I've heard that Motion is the way forward to get results, so I have sent said clip to Motion. But here is the problem...

I have about 50 odd gb of hard drive space. But as soon as I select Optical Flow for my clip it says I don't have enough hard drive space, and on further inspection it turns out I only have about 200 or so of mb space left! What is going on?

I tried to overlook this obscurity and deleted some stuff to free up for space (about 5gb). This allows me to perform an optical flow. However, it says it will take about 28 hours to do. Which is just ridiculous! Obviously there are a couple of serious issues here. Is anyone able to shed some light on any of them? Thankyou.
"

Return to posts index

Ash Reeves
on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:06:18 pm

Hi Mark,

I seem to have resolved this issue. I just exported the clip as an independent clip and then open motion instead of Sending the clip to motion from the FCP timeline. Somehow this resolved the problem!

However now I've managed to get the optical flow working and reduced the clip to 50% speed. And for some reason the resulting clip seems to be very jumpy......erm, any help with regards to this problem?

And in case it isn't obvious, yes this is my first time using motion.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:14:20 pm

Well you may not want to use optical flow at all - depending on your material, if you are only slowing to 50%, Frame Blending, None, or Motion Blur Blending may give you better results.

Really, you only want to use Optical Flow for extreme slow motion because it creates new in-between frames. But it comes at a cost: long render time and a huge cache file.

Without seeing your footage, I can't give you any more specific advice. Did you try just slowing it down to 50% directly in FCP? No reason at all to go to Motion if you just want to slow the clip down a bit.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Ash Reeves
on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:44:47 pm

Initially, yes. I slowed it down to 50% in FCP. But I wanted to use Motion because quite frankly, the slow mo in FC looks horrible! I wanted to create something quite professional looking. I would imagine this would this would be the same case with frame blending in Motion (I'm just assuming here, I'll try it out later and see if the results are better).

There is another clip later on in my timeline that I am planning to do an 'extreme slow motion' on (probably about 10%), so it would be nice to know why the clip I am exporting from Motion is suddenly jumpy. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:51:27 pm

I can't tell you without seeing it. Optical Flow is very complex in what it's trying to do (create new data) and only works well if there is not a lot of movement in the shot. If the camera is moving around you can get all kinds of warping effects.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Ash Reeves
on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:52:36 pm

No the camera was on a tripod, it definitely isn't anything to do with the camera movement. Is there a way I can upload the clip to this site to show what I mean?

Return to posts index

Ash Reeves
on Oct 6, 2011 at 11:41:49 pm

Duh! Just seen the option. Here ya go. Hope this helps....

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/slow-mo-test

Return to posts index

Ash Reeves
on Oct 7, 2011 at 10:56:54 pm

Can anyone shed some light on why it is jumping like that?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]