I'm new to Motion and have a handful questions about running Motion 5 on my 2011 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with an AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GPU.
1) Will Motion take advantage of the 2GB GPU or would 1GB have been fine? And if so, what tasks take advantage of the GPU?
2) Will I see a major difference between 12GB of RAM vs. 16GB? I was going to increase the RAM from the standard 2x2GB to 2x2GB + 2x4GB, buying from OWC, Crucial or Newegg. Is it worth going to 16GB? What tasks take advantage of the RAM?
3) Is there a difference running Motion on 10.6.7(what my iMac came with), 10.6.8 or 10.7 Lion? Are there performance issues, good or bad, one from the other? I'm probably going to partition my boot drive to run 10.6.8 and 10.7, didn't know if I should do a 10.6.7 partition as well.
4) Would the Motion 4 training that's out there be beneficial? Or has the program changed too much? I'm going to be doing the Lynda.com Motion 5 Essential Training by Ian Robinson and then jumping over to Motion 5: Rigging & Publishing Titles, Transitions, Effects & Generators for Final Cut Pro X by Mark Spencer at Rippletraining.com to get myself familiar with the program, as well as any tutorials that pop up here on the Cow.
5) If I'm using a firewire 800 drive to store my media will I see a significant drop in performance? Can you keep the media on the boot drive or is this bad practice like an nle system? My media will be HDV footage from a Canon HV20 as well as jpegs and RAW photos from my Nikon D5000.
These forums are fantastic and I'd appreciate all the feedback I can get.