FORUMS: list search recent posts

Have text fill in from bottom to top

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Kaiser
Have text fill in from bottom to top
on Aug 24, 2011 at 9:37:53 pm

Hi

I'm working on an opening title sequence. I have drawn a red line to extend across the canvas and I want text to fill up from the red line, as if it is growing out of it.
I can't find any default transitions that seem to match what im looking for. The entire line cannot be revealed all at once, since im looking to have the letters write up as the line extends across the screen.

Here is what I have so far. Critiques would be great as well.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Have text fill in from bottom to top
on Aug 24, 2011 at 10:02:46 pm

Place your text in a group. Add a mask to the group. Then add a keyframe to the text's position. Move back in the timeline 30 seconds or so and then add another keyframe. Move the texts position down until the text goes out of the mask which should be on the red line. That will make the text look like it is coming out of the red line. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 25, 2011 at 3:59:10 pm

One thing that Stephen didn't mention. Since you said that you didn't want the entire line to animate up at once, you need to apply a sequence text behavioor to the text inside the group. With that you can animate the text pushing up from the line one character at a time. Just make sure that the mask hides the text in it's starting position below the line.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Todd Kaiser
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:28:51 pm

Thanks!

I had a different look in mind, but this looks nice too.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:42:05 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood. What is the "different" look that you are after?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Todd Kaiser
on Aug 25, 2011 at 5:48:15 pm

I'm looking for something that probably revolves around the write on effect.

I'm having trouble describing the look, if you imagine filling a bottle with water it would look like that. I'd like the text to fill in upwards from bottom to top. So if the letter was a "T" then the last part to be revealed would be the top "-" line of the character.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:52:53 pm

Well, if you're trying to make it look like water filling text, then that's a very difficult effect (simulating liquid). However, if you just want the color to fill text from the bottom up, you can do that by manipulating the opacity of the text. Here's how.

Add your text and position it. I would choose a thick font as it will show off the effect better. In the text tab of the inspector, click on style and change the Fill With parameter to gradient. Twirl down the gradient parameters to reveal the gradient controls. Pull one of the color tabs off so you're left with only one color. Change to taste. Click in the opacity strip (the white bar above the color gradient) to add a second opacity tag. Place it on the far right side. Click the left opacity tag and below where it says interpolation, choose Constant from the pop up menu. Then drag the opacity down to 0. This should make the left tag and the opacity strip black (transparent). The right tag will still be white (opaque). Select the right tag, and then keyframe the Location parameter (below Interpolation), to animate the filling of the color.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]