FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 5 to FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Beaumont
Motion 5 to FCPX
on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:28:12 pm

Only had two days to play so hoping someone here is ahead of me....
I'm creating short "bumpers" in motion to use in FCPX. If I publish them as generators, and then attempt to reduce their duration in FCPX I can only seem to speed up the generator (making it shorter) rather than trim it. Should I be exporting them as movies and then importing into FCPX? Creating as titles?
Also, how do you delete a generator that you've created? It's not obvious.

Thankyou in anticipation

Nigel Beaumont

Mac Pro Quad 3.0Ghz 12GB FCS 3 OSX 10.6.7, Aja IO, some black cables&shiny firewire drives

"Ofcourse it'll be finished in time for tx"

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion 5 to FCPX
on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:59:06 pm

Add a Loop End marker to fix the duration.
Delete any FCPX effects you create in Motion (titles, transition, effects, generators) by going to user/movies/motion templates and delete the appropriate folders.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Nigel Beaumont
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:22:07 pm

Thanks Mark,
I'd hoped there was a neater way to delete than navigating round the file system. But the last couple of days have been full of "why is doing _________ so complicated!?!" moments.
In fairness, there have been quite a few "wow, that's pretty cool" moments too.....

Nigel Beaumont

Mac Pro Quad 3.0Ghz 12GB FCS 3 OSX 10.6.7, Aja IO, some black cables&shiny firewire drives

Return to posts index

Gayle Kakac
on Jul 22, 2014 at 9:52:00 pm

Mark,
I'm having a similar problem with a project I need done today, of course. I'm using a template I purchased online and I couldn't figure out how to open in in FCP X from Motion 5. I watched your video but unfortunately I didn't publish the drop boxes before I published the whole project. I tried to save the project under a different name but the drop boxes were all published. I tried unpublishing them and redo it and then publishing the project. I tried deleting the Generator from the movies folder but no matter what I do I can't seem to put clips in the drop box in FCP X.
Can you please help?
Thank you so much,
Gayle

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 22, 2014 at 9:54:06 pm

Dropzones are published automatically, you shouldn't have to do anything. They should appear in the Generator Inspector when the generator has been added to a project and selected in FCP X. Not sure what your issue is, would have to see what you are doing. Won't be available rest of the day, sorry.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Gayle Kakac
on Jul 22, 2014 at 9:57:37 pm

Ok thank you. I watched videos online that told me I had to publish the drop boxes prior to publishing the project. In FCP I just have a timeline and I can edit the text but can't seem to drop videos into the sections where the drop boxes are supposed to be. It just makes an upper layer on the timeline and overlaps the main timeline. I'll see if I can contact Jerry Hoffman, he used to help with the COW and is an old teacher of mine.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jul 22, 2014 at 10:18:51 pm

I don't think you are understanding how drop zones work. You don't drop clips on the timeline - you go to the Generator Inspector, select the drop zone well, select a clip in your Browser to add to the drop zone, then click Apply.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Gayle Kakac
on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:45:33 am

You're right, I didn't understand that. I did figure it out after your last message based on what you had written. But thank you, that was very helpful!

Return to posts index

Brendan Gibbons
on Jul 17, 2011 at 9:12:32 am

[Nigel Beaumont] "Also, how do you delete a generator that you've created?"

Navigate to your user directory in finder, then from there go to:

Movies / Motion Templates / Generators /

From here look for the name of the generator you created that you no longer need and delete that folder.

*** Edit - sorry didn't see the reply already detailing the delete procedure *****

Cheers,

Brendan

Return to posts index

Nigel Beaumont
on Jul 17, 2011 at 12:59:06 pm

Thanks anyway Brendan!
This is really adjusting my thought process from FCP7 and not confusing "publish" with "export".

Nigel Beaumont

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]