FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 5 Keyer - Reflective Surfaces Rotating

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Walker
Motion 5 Keyer - Reflective Surfaces Rotating
on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:37:55 pm

I am having reflective problems while trying to key out a rotating object (see connection point of USB drive). I do realize that lighting is the most important factor which could have been better. However, given the current status, does anyone have any suggestions using Motion 5's new keyer on how to stop the connection point from being keyed out?

Sorry my keying skills are somewhat limited. My heart says to section it off and treat it as it's own section.

Return to posts index

Zach Shore
Re: Motion 5 Keyer - Reflective Surfaces Rotating
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:08:10 am

Here's what I tried.

-Applied the keyer.
-Lowered the Strength parameter to about 20%.
-I added a color sample selection to the left of the plug. Just enough to define the green near the drive. There will still be some areas in the corners that are transparent, but you could garbage mask those out.
-In the Advanced section of the keyer, there's an Luma graphic/control. I adjusted the left slider and moved it to the right. This took care of most of the plug. I went just far enough so that a little it of the reflection was still gray.
-I increased the Luma Rolloff to about 34%
-then I set the Edge Distance to 0 and used the Fill holes to get rid of the last bit of the reflection in the plug area.

From here you could use the matte tools to shrink and soften or erode the edge. I don't know if you were the shooter for this, but one thing that could help with the reflective surfaces in the future is to put flags to the sides of the object to block the reflections.

"You can come push the buttons, or you can let me do my job."

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:39:51 am

Ran in to a similar problem earlier today and came up with a solution...that didn't work for me. But I suspect it might work for you.

Run the same video behind the the background layer. Then, create an inverted mask that covers that portion you don't want keyed out. Use motion tracking to make sure the mask moves with the object (assuming the object moves). When you can see that the mask is following the object properly, copy the mask over to your background image so that the hole is in both the front video layer and your backdrop, showing through the the original video that you have running behind all of that.

Might that work?

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:02:09 pm

Thanks for the help Jay. Funny enough I tried your method last night but didn't get finished with it. I think between what you've said, and a few of Zach's pointers, I should be able to knock this out. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:58:24 pm

Great help Zach, thanks. I think I learned a few new things to get me through.

Return to posts index

Zach Shore
on Jul 18, 2011 at 10:41:57 pm

Glad it helped. I'd love to see your final result. :)

"You can come push the buttons, or you can let me do my job."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]