FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ideas/Input needed on open for safety video

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Stembridge
Ideas/Input needed on open for safety video
on Jul 12, 2011 at 5:22:22 pm

I have a psd graphic that Imported into Motion, all layers, and it loads great.
Here's the file link, if you'd like to take a closer look: 2575_burkesafetydvdtitle.psd.zip
I want to go full screen on an individual button.... but a little more interesting than adding a basic motion path, or throw... BTW, each of the colored boxes represent a separate section, like the red one will correspond with Code Red Evacuation section of the video.
Any ideas or recommendations?

Also... how tricky is it to convert a layer, into a drop zone?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
Re: Ideas/Input needed on open for safety video
on Jul 12, 2011 at 5:30:42 pm

I figured out in the inspector that you can very simply designate an image or layer as a drop zone.... very cool!

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:05:07 pm

It might be interesting to make the sections come to you. Show the section dislodging itself from the set of nine, and then making a big sweeping motion until it ends up right in front of the Camera. Elegant, but still to the point.

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Jul 12, 2011 at 8:19:00 pm

Yeah, that may be the best idea. I haven't really used camera yet; but have been going through lynda.com's tutorial, and watched some of Stephen Smith's tutorial.... I will give it a whirl. Some of the tutorials seems to go from overview to complicated rather quickly! I am always best starting with intermediate!
Thanks for the input!

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:59:41 pm

If I might be so bold, Mark Spencers book on Motion 4 is quite excellent. I never felt like it flew over my head, and I came out the other end feeling pretty good about Motion.

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Jul 12, 2011 at 10:39:19 pm

Thanks, I have considered getting that, think this is great timing!

Do you mind explaining a pretty basic thing? When pulling one of the shapes of to full screen, is it best to do this with a camera movement? I did try moving the shape to the center, and then using a grow behavior resizing; but it it pretty darn jerky looking. Doesn't seem to combine the 2 when recording.

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:30:45 am

Zooming one of the shapes to full screen should be pretty easily done by using the behavior called "Framing" (it's under Behaviors > Camera Actions). You can even work with the interpolation so that you can smooth things out a bit.

If you're not quite sure what interpolation is...you really should consider getting that book ;-). (Though I'm more than happy to explain if you're not sure.)

The other nice thing about using framing is that you can move the object around to your hearts content and then just slap a "Framing" action on the camera and it will go right to it, no matter where it is. It can make for some really nifty effects if done correctly.

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:34:28 pm

Ok, I will order the book.... in the meantime, could you explain the very basic operation of framing.... for a graphic that that graphic at the beginning of this thread? Everything is on the same plane, at first I was thinking maybe of breaking up each button on different plans... and using DOF and zoom.

I think if I can figure out the most basic operation and get it working (recorded...) and playing back correctly, I can really start moving forward!

Thanks again for the advise and assistance!

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
on Jul 13, 2011 at 8:15:06 pm

Well, if you don't already, you're going to want to have all of your squares on different layers. Once you have them on different layers the procedure is fairly straight forward.

First, make sure you have an active camera set up in the project. Then, click on the camera in your layers and go to the behaviors drop down menu. Go to Camera Actions > Framing.

Once you have that placed in the timeline where you would like the zoom, then go ahead and open up the HUD (press F7 if it's not already open.) In the HUD should be a little well titled "Target". Just grab the layer that you want to have zoomed in on and put it in the target. Now you should zoom in on that layer until it is the only thing filling the view frame.

Is that clear enough? I always worry I'm not being clear...

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Jul 14, 2011 at 1:03:27 pm

Hi Jay, all righty, I followed your instructions, and it appears to work!

Emergency Procedures Graphic

What about tweaking possibilities with framing behaviors? It is definitely on the right track, and I will continue seeing what parameters on the inspector there are... and what they do! I am considering modifying the buttons, using replicator method to give them a little mor of a 3d look, and also having them shift a little as they move forward.

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:56:35 pm

If I'm honest, the way I usually end up tweaking a framing behavior is by simply moving the object around a little bit. For example, if you animated the object to move forward, up and rotate a bit. You would retain the framing effect, but because the object is moving you would get a big swooshing effect.

To be honest though, sometimes a simple move like the one you have is all you need. Sometimes making it look better lies in adding other animations to the process. For example, having more words animate onto the object your framing. Or adding some line animations, etc.

But, hey, that's all up to the artist right? ;-). Just keep messing with it, and I'm sure you'll come up with something great.

(Oh, and get that book.)

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Jul 14, 2011 at 4:38:20 pm

Ok Jay, thanks again for walking me through it, that was a great learning experience!

Return to posts index

Jay Carr
on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:51:08 pm

Glad to have helped :D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]