FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ideas/Input needed on open for safety video

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Stembridge
Ideas/Input needed on open for safety video
on Jul 10, 2011 at 1:30:58 am

Hi, I have been using motion 4 on a project, and was just looking to share the open, and ask for any advise on perhaps some effects that may be a little more interesting. It's part of a school safety video.
Here's the link:

http://vimeo.com/26215101

Return to posts index

Zach Shore
Re: Ideas/Input needed on open for safety video
on Jul 10, 2011 at 11:10:55 pm

I don't think you need any additional effects, you've got plenty going on and if you add too much this composition could get a bit overloaded. What you've got going on for graphics is really good, simple is nice. if anything, I think the typography could use some adjustment.

First, I'd love to see some color in the text to make it pop out more. It may seem cliche, but a bold red color would really pop and convey the theme, emergency safety (think sirens, medical crosses, warning).

Your font sizes and spacing are all over the place, I think consistency is really important. " Readiness and" are one font size and "Emergency Management" are a different size. This looks like the title, but it make them feel like the are different elements. I also think it would be more interesting visually if you didn't split the text top and bottom. Don't be afraid to let your text overlay the images in the middle. The spaces between the word (like the last text) really seem to large. Maybe a different font or some adjustment to the kerning would help.

Overall, GREAT start. Thanks for sharing!

"You can come push the buttons, or you can let me do my job."

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Jul 11, 2011 at 2:33:38 am

Thanks for the input Zach. I may give some color a try with that open.... and consistancy on the font sizes.

There are a lot of title keys throughout the piece.. I am attaching a few stills. I went with a different look for these, and wondering if I may want to try and hone these down to look a little similar as well.

You saw the title key for the Sheriff. That would be design variation #2.... here's a few of the others:

Thanks again for the feedback, very useful!!!!

Return to posts index

Zach Shore
on Jul 11, 2011 at 5:21:23 am

I"m glad it was helpful David. I think these are a nice improvement. I like the gradient for the text face. It makes it a bit more dynamic and yes, you would want to be consistent to throughout the piece.

My last suggestions would be reduce the baseline for the text. Again, there's a lot of space between each line and this is similar to having too much space between words, it makes it feel less cohesive. Also, maybe use a narrow version of the font, or small point size for the sub-headings (Hard Lockdown/Fire Evacuation). It would add some nice contrast, again making things a bit more dynamic and interesting. You can see what I'm talking about in your last slide. The subjects name looks like Helvetica Oblique and the job title looks like Helvetica Regular. It's two variations of the same font, but they fit together because they are the same font family. At the same time, they contrast each other a bit and that is a bit more interesting visually.

For more reference to what I'm talking about, look at the ads here on the page. Look at the spacing between the lines and the contrast in fonts. Just remember, keep it simple. :) Again, it's a really nice start!

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Jul 11, 2011 at 1:48:52 pm

Awesome, I just found the place under layout to adjust the leading....

I had to load this page in safari... Have an ad-blocker on Chrome :) I see what you mean though, Here's a fix on one of them, this what you were thinking?

The font on the majority of the gradient treated fonts is Myriad Pro - Bold, and the people identifiers is using Myriad Pro - Semi bold Italic

I could probably adjust the people identifiers a little. The reasoning for the change in colors on the backgrounds for the titles like Code Blue/Code Red is that each code has a designated color assigned, so I wanted to try and play off that a little. I am not sure what may be the best approach for the title IDs.... what about this? It matches the Burke County School logo, and uses the Myriad Pro-Bold.... you think that may work better?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Zach Shore
on Jul 11, 2011 at 4:12:05 pm

Actually, I think the old lower third for IDs looked better. For those, I'd keep what you had.

The baseline for the color code section is much better. The appearance for those can look a bit different than the ID lower thirds. For the color codes titles, I think including the Color code call out that you had worked well too. It helps reinforce the color background for the viewer. When you try different font sizes, don't be afraid to make really contrast the sizes. For example, you could have the Code Color text at like 250 (Code Red), but the description could be at 115 (Fire Evacuation).

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Jul 11, 2011 at 8:07:37 pm

Guess I will agree with you on ID keys, looking at both.

I may end up trying something different for that open. I tried resizing it to HD; but could not line it up properly. It really is rather fuzzy... I like using the templates, because you can learn from them, and tweak!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]