FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you use Motion-x stand-alone, in an FCS /FCP7 world?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Can you use Motion-x stand-alone, in an FCS /FCP7 world?
on Jun 28, 2011 at 4:01:49 pm

Can I use new Motion-x stand- alone in an FCP7/ FCP environment? Or does it have to have FCP-x installed to work? I don't wanna discuss FCP-X here, just the issue of can the new Motion that is available for $50 be used stand-alone?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Can you use Motion-x stand-alone, in an FCS /FCP7 world?
on Jun 28, 2011 at 4:12:44 pm

You can have both Motion 4 & 5 on your machine. You cannot import a Motion 5 project file into FCP7. You can not send content from FCP7 to Motion 5. (if you are creating a project from scratch directly in Motion this is not a big deal) You would have to send it to Motion 4 and then close Motion 4 and then open that project in Motion 5. I feel one of the key features of Motion is the ability to bring a Motion project file into FCP and work with it...With Motion 5 and no FCPX kiss that goodbye.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 28, 2011 at 5:29:35 pm

Thanks for the quick answer, as always, Stephen. I suppose if I owned Motion 5 I *could* export an MOV and import the MOV into FCP7? It would seem faster than what you described. I'm going to have Motion 4 installed some time this month, was just wondering what I was missing in 5 that 4 can't do...

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:19:51 pm

Yes you can export out a movie and bring it into FCP. The reason I like to bring a Motion project file into FCP and treat it like a clip is because if I need to make a change I can just right click on the Motion file in FCP and choose open in editor. Plus I don't end up with a ton of exported movies. I don't always get everything the way I like it in the first go around.

As for what Motion 5 has that Motion 4 doesn't. Motion 5 can do 64 bit which will speed everything up so you can use your computers power to the fullest...where as Motion 4 puts a governor on it. Motion 5 has a new keyer that I have not played with so I'm not sure about how good it is. It also has a new Parameter Rig. Motion 5 sends files to FCPX with more options. And that is about it.

Do you own a copy of FCS3 yet? Because they don't sell it anymore.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:32:59 pm

Yes, we have a very slow procurement system and it took like 2 years to get FCS 3 approved, bought, and shipped. It arrived (the box of disks) about 2 weeks before the arrival of (software that must not be named). I'm still on FCS 2 and Motion 3 here but planning to install the FCS3 upgrade soon as possible, before the online updaters are gone. Soon as I have it installed and all the updates (fingers crossed), I'll image that drive and that will be my back-up until (software that must not be named) is in more usable shape for our shop's needs.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:43:44 pm

The FCS2 to FCS3 transition work real well for me. I think you will enjoy the new features.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 28, 2011 at 7:55:56 pm

If a clone of you came with it to teach me how to do stuff, I know I qwould:-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]