FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cameras and Paint in 3D

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Gordon
Cameras and Paint in 3D
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:59:30 am

I am working on a project where I have 3, 3D sets set out in different locations in x, y and z space. What I am trying to do is animate some paint strokes to move from one 3D set to the next as a camera trails behind it. But I am having lots of trouble getting the paint stroke I draw to actually contact from one 3d set to the other. Every time I change camera view (eg perspective, top, side, and active) it then seems to be in a complete different plane to what I was expecting.

I am using Motion 3. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
Re: Cameras and Paint in 3D
on Jun 13, 2011 at 11:23:58 am

I had this exact issue a while back - see here:

How to make a paint stroke connect 2 objects in 3D space?

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that paint strokes are 2D. The "local 3D" checkbox simply makes the dabs face the camera, it doesn't allow you to fully orient the stroke in 3D space.

Return to posts index

Peter Gordon
on Jun 13, 2011 at 12:06:37 pm

Thanks Gareth,

I read the thread - precisely my problem... Did you have success with using the emitter and motion path behaviour? If so, which emitter closely replicated a paint stroke look? How exactly did you get it to work?

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Jun 14, 2011 at 2:39:17 pm

I just repositioned both sets to 0 on the Z-plane so that the paint stroke only had to move in X and Y, it didn't need to move in Z-space.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]