FORUMS: list search recent posts

2D image into spinning 3D sphere?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Geddes
2D image into spinning 3D sphere?
on Jun 8, 2011 at 9:28:17 pm

Hi Guys

I am working on a project for my daughter's soccer team and I’d like to make an effect using her clubs' logo. I'd like to turn it into a spinning ball - like a stripped billiard ball I suppose.

I have found a few tutorials on how to make spheres in motion but nowhere can i find out how to mask images onto those spheres.

Is it possible and if so does anyone know where I can source a tutorial on it?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Jimmylee Remillard
Re: 2D image into spinning 3D sphere?
on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:15:02 am

Add Filter - Distortion - Sphere. Have fun.

Return to posts index

Ross Geddes
on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:19:56 am

Well that was easy...I’m glad I posted here and didn't continue to trawl the net for tutorials - I had spent hours already trying to modify similar examples with no luck. Thanks Jimmy - I’m looking forward to trying that when I get home.

Ross

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Jun 9, 2011 at 5:48:09 am

What you want to do is not possible without third party filter something like Boris continuum 7.
Best if luck...

Return to posts index

Ross Geddes
on Jun 9, 2011 at 7:28:33 am

Hey Zac

Before i dish out the dollars for Boris.....is it much better than this using Jimmy's advice?

I have a link to youtube with the logo (which is poor quality to start with) and then it spinning.

I'll have to do it again to make it round so it spins neatly...and i'd prefer it didn't zoom in and blur to make the sphere - but for what i'm after this will do.

My daughter sings "we'll beat all comers" as she does out her hands from red lightning rise the 8 logo spheres of the opposition teams. As she says 'comers" she closes her hands into fists and all spheres explode.

It will be small and last about 3 seconds - so i think this'll do.

But any advice to make it look better would be appreciated.
Cheers

Ross

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:17:45 am

[Ross Geddes] "Before i dish out the dollars for Boris.....is it much better than this using Jimmy's advice?"

The advantage of using Boris is that you can use it to create true 3D objects in Motion. If you wanted to rotate a camera around your logo sphere in 3D space, that's what you've have to use. But if you just need to fake a sphere in 2D, which is what you're doing in your example clip, then Jimmy's technique is fine (and free).

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 9, 2011 at 3:01:30 pm

Another 3D plug-in is Zaxweks. You would need the Pro Animator FX, which they offer a free trial. With a 3D plug-in you will get nice lighting on the object that will make it look much better...however, for a daughters soccer video I would stick with what is cheapest and easiest.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Ross Geddes
on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:38:38 pm

Thanks Stephen I’ll give that trial a run. I know I don’t need it for this but I use my kid's videos as a training exercise and I’d like to learn how to deliver a professional look with this as I might use it down the track.

I appreciate your advice.

Ross

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 9, 2011 at 11:50:18 pm

I really like Pro Animator FX and it will give it a nice look with the lighting built into the plug-in and you can add a little reflective texture that will give it an even cooler look. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]