FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make a farm field (furrowed) in motion 3?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
How to make a farm field (furrowed) in motion 3?
on May 31, 2011 at 4:27:50 pm

Working on a spec idea in Motion 3, a little stumped as to how to create a plane surface with a regular sinusiodal wave, basically, I need to make a field of dirt with furrows. For right now, playing with a flat rectangle and a flag motion with the motion frozen thru keyframing. Any better ideas?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: How to make a farm field (furrowed) in motion 3?
on May 31, 2011 at 4:58:52 pm

Well, applying a wave distortion only distorts it in 2-d. Not really working. My next plan after lunch is to try and draw out a bezier shape for a furrowed field, and extrude it, to create a true 3-d shape. After that, I will try stacking cylinders.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 31, 2011 at 7:49:41 pm

Mmmm, maybe a replicator of a spline is what I need to make this work. I'm not very strong on how to use the replicators, any tips here would be a help.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:57:04 pm

Motion does not create true 3D shapes. Depending on what you are trying to do, you can sometimes fake it, but it sounds like what you are trying to make is more or less the realm of a true 3D program like Maya, Cinema 4D or that ilk.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 2, 2011 at 3:19:59 pm

I'm trying to keep it in Motion. You CAN make 3-d cubes in Motion, I've done that before. aking it with many relicated flat 2-d shapes "kinda" looks right, but still needs work, becasue I'm not skilled with replicator fucntions. I'm prety sure I can do this if I make enoug long planes and connect them up, edge to edge, like the taboured door of a roll-rop desk, in a single grouping, each "slat" at a slight angle to the next, to create a rolling, furrow-like surface, but this will be computationally chalenging as well as plain tedious to assemble. I was hoping for a more elegant solution using replicators. I may need to put up the Bat Signal to page Stephen to this thread:-)

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 2, 2011 at 3:44:53 pm

You can page whoever you want, up to and including Batman himself (he's actually a pretty good motion graphics guy) but it won't change the limitations of Motion.

The only way to possibly fake what you're asking is to create a 2D cross-section of the field with all the furrows drawn as dips in the top of the bezier shape. Then use a replicator with a line shape and crank the instances up. Way up. WAAAAAAYYYYY UP.

It's the same technique you would use to fake 3D text and it has the same limitations. To make the field any decent length, you'll likely need tens of THOUSANDS of instances. Even then, rotating a camera to view the scene on end will result in gaps in the fake 3D shape where the camera is viewing some instances on end.

I wasn't being flippant about needing a 3D program. If you're moving a camera in 3D, you really need to build this in 3D. I use replicators extensively and I've been in your position before trying to make it work. At some point we all reach the limitation of the program we're working in. At that point, it's time to look for another program to help us out. There are free 3D solutions like Blender, if you can make it work, or you can also re-think your project to make use of what it CAN do.

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 2, 2011 at 5:27:42 pm

Andy, Oh no, you DI'NT juss throw down the gauntlet! :-)

I've already seen what you're saying about replicating a spline to fake depth. Still, I've got a little time to play with this, and I might get to use my favorite saying yet again:

"I didn't know it was impossible when I did it".

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 6, 2011 at 4:31:48 pm

Working with the" tambour door" approach. Rough sample attached.

Multiple iterations of an identical 2-d "slat", each copy slightly rotated until I get one complete up and down furrow, then group and duplicate groups to speed making it larger.

Colors are temporary, just to make individual strips easier to identify, will replace them with dirt colors or image maps when this is further along.

Still, I wish there was a faster/better way, but I like my progress so far.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]