FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion vs. Cinema 4D

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Montica Pes
Motion vs. Cinema 4D
on Apr 29, 2011 at 2:32:56 pm

Hi,

I'm just getting started in Motion (after having exhausted what I can do in FCP) and I'm wondering this: if I have Apple Motion, is there any reason I would need Cinema 4D? If I want to use some of Red Giant's Particle Trapcodes, can I integrate them in Motion? (That may be a silly question, but I am still trying to get a grasp on what software does what and if any are superior to others.) Any help is, of course, much appreciated. (I would also like to know if I have Color (which I do as part of FCS 3) do I need Magic Bullet? But I realize this is a Motion forum...)

Thanks ever so, Monty :)

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion vs. Cinema 4D
on Apr 29, 2011 at 2:49:25 pm

Motion is a motion graphics program and works with 2D planes in 3D space (if you want).

C4D is a 3D modelling application - completely different beast. It's fantastic, and integrates well with Motion. Used extensively for broadcast design among other uses. May be overkill for you depending on what you are trying to achieve. Lots of good info on their site.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 29, 2011 at 3:48:09 pm

+1 - I use them both for different phases of a project.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 29, 2011 at 6:18:21 pm

As for Color & Looks. I use both. Color is an amazing color grading application that can do things the 3-way color corrector can't. The learning curve is steep and it is not like anything else in the Final Cut Studio bundle. If you are going to learn it I highly recommend that you purchase Walter Biscardi's " Stop Staring and Start Grading with Apple Color ". Looks is used to give your clips a certain stylized look. Color can do that as well, however, Looks works in FCP as a plug-in where as Color is another program. In-order to get clips out of Color you have to export them and then let Color reconnect them in FCP. So you have that additional step. Looks comes with more unique looks then Color does. But Color can do so much more. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Montica Pes
on May 1, 2011 at 8:15:37 pm

Hey Stephen--
That helps so much, you wouldn't believe.

Monty :)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 2, 2011 at 2:36:01 pm

Happy to help and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Montica Pes
on May 1, 2011 at 8:13:23 pm

Marc--
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain the differences--it really helped!
Monty

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]