FORUMS: list search recent posts

PNG Artifacts - on DVD

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fortin
PNG Artifacts - on DVD
on Apr 18, 2011 at 8:22:20 pm

Created a video with quite a few MOTION sequences in it.
3 of the sequences were created by moving PNG images.
1st sequence used head shot photographs
2nd sequence used stick figures
3rd sequence used rectangular images

When viewing the completed move in Motion, no problem.
When viewing the master video (Apple XDCAM EX 1080p30, 35 Mb/s VBR), no problem.
When viewing h264 video compressed in Compressor, no problem.

I created a DVD by compressing the video in Compressor, One pass CBR, 7.0 Mbps (like I always do when creating DVDs)

When you watch the DVD on a laptop computer, no problem.
When you watch the DVD on a LCD TV, there are weird artifacts when the PNGs come into the frame. It happens on all three sequences, as the large PNG comes into the frame.

I also tried making a blu-ray DVD, and the same artifacts were there.

I've never seen this type of problem before.

Here are videos of 10 frames of the stick figure coming into the scene. This same type of “artifact” happens for all three types of images I used, the stick figure, head shots, and rectangles.

Master video compressed to h264 in Compressor
http://www.mediaimageproductions.com/StickFigure-master.mov

Video taken off the LCD TV of blu-ray playing, compressed to h264 in Compressor
http://www.mediaimageproductions.com/StickFigure-Bluray.mov

Again, when you watch the DVD in a laptop computer, these artifacts do NOT appear.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks,

David

Return to posts index

David Fortin
Re: PNG Artifacts - on DVD
on Apr 18, 2011 at 11:04:09 pm

I also had posted this over in the Apple DVD Studio Pro forum. Someone suggested the settings on my TV. And sure enough, when I switched the "Motion Profile" from "High" to "Low", that took care of the problem. The blu-ray looks great.

David

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
Re: PNG Artifacts - on DVD
on Apr 19, 2011 at 1:32:46 pm

Just to followup here what it looks like to me is that you are experiencing interlacing issues. Typically when you compose in motion you are operating in a non-interlaced or progressive environment. Most laptops are progressive so you don't see artifacts there. The problem occurs when you move platforms, like to a television, which is interlaced. That's why your TV's "mode" had to be changed. But the bottom line is your motion graphic, which moves very fast, may still have those artifacts you mentioned on other interlaced TVs. What may help is making sure that you check mark the FIELD RENDER in your render options, upper right corner of your viewer. This of course assumes that your destination for this product is ultimately for an interlaced TV. If it's progressive then you may have solved your problem already.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]