FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to: stop motion and rotate around a moving subject.

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Wilson
How to: stop motion and rotate around a moving subject.
on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:10:33 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to do this effect. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll do my best to try.

In a video, when the action "freezes" but the camera still moves to another angle, then the action resumes. I'm guessing it's some 3D keying/mapping technique. However, I'm not sure what the technique is called and what program can accomplish this.

Here's an example: Swamp People season two trailer, found here: http://www.history.com/shows/swamp-people/videos/season-2-trailer#season-2-...

Also, the World of Jenks intro is kind of similar:

Can you accomplish this in Motion? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: How to: stop motion and rotate around a moving subject.
on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:21:54 pm

The Swamp People effect is called "bullet time" made famous by the Matrix. To do this effect you need a lot of cameras. Check out this video that shows bullet time with surfing, it is really cool:

Okay, now that you have watched it watch how they did it:

As for the other video, you achieve this effect by creating a still, separate the foreground images from the back ground images in a program like Photo shop. Then separate the layers z distance and add a camera move. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Jordan Wilson
on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:31:40 pm

Thanks for the reply, Stephen. I saw that surfing video a while back. Pretty sweet. I just saw another one with 30 cameras, can't find the link to it, though.

Is there a way you can use 2-3 cameras and get a similar (but obviously not as real-looking) effect?

So could Motion (or AE or any other program) simulate movements between the cameras?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 1, 2011 at 8:26:23 pm

If you go with the 3 camera idea be sure to use a morphing plug-in to help go from one clip to the other. It will look a little funny.

You can always go with the 2d photo in a 3D environment look. Like this 3D photo move video I did:

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Apr 2, 2011 at 6:46:24 pm

Found this link from Graffiti Research Labs:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Enter-the-Ghetto-Matrix-DIY-Bullet-T...

Requires 24 with remote cable controls. An effect like this isn't for the faint of heart, but the strongly determined. Maybe you can get a bulk deal on the cameras? ;) Anyhow, cost is reportedly between $5-8k. We just finished a huge event last night using GRL's LED Throwie plans (and a ton of tape, batteries, LEDs, and magnets).

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]