FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D extrude in MOTN 4

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
3D extrude in MOTN 4
on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:04:18 am

So I've used Peter Wiggins tutorial before (link below) to create 3D or extruded type in Motion 3. However, I'm now onto MOTN 4. Is there now a better way to do this as this method is very taxing on the GFX card and CPU? Not to mention, pretty slow in updating the view, especially when I'm trying to do some complicated camera moves. RAM is not my issue, plenty of that. Just want to find a better way to do this.

Oh and not only with type but with Illustrator files. I've deconstructed a logo down to 3 pieces and would like to extrude them, 1 layer on top of the other. Then lay it flat, zoom the camera in, flip it up and reveal the logo facing the camera.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/wiggins_peter/3d_text.php

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: 3D extrude in MOTN 4
on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:05:31 am

Sorry Matt, nothing has changed....I would recommend you purchase a plug-in called Zaxwerks Pro Animator FX. It can make your illustrator logo 3D. It is super easy to use and worth its weight in pizza. It can do text as well.

I've never used it but you can also check out Boris Continuum Complete 6 FxPlug's Extruded Text filter.

Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:15:54 am

Thx Stephen. Looks like exactly what I need but its 600 bones. Don't think I can get my boss to approve that one. Even with the new CS5, there's no way to do this? I love an use MOTN a lot but am also learning AE. Can this be done easier with AE CS5?

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Mar 9, 2011 at 1:18:07 am

3D Invigorator Classic (also from Zaxworks) would also do 3D extruded text at (almost) half the price.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 9, 2011 at 3:15:59 pm

3D Invigorator Classic is for After Effects.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 10, 2011 at 11:22:17 pm

Both Motion and After Effects are compositing and motion graphics programs. They often get mistaken for 3D programs because that is the graphical world we live in now, but neither one does 3D modeling on its own.

If your boss wants true 3D, he's gonna have to get off his wallet to give it to you. Blender is open source, so you have access to free 3D, but it doesn't have integration with AE or Motion so compositing 3D text with other motion graphics can be difficult if there are cameras involved.

Cinema 4D has integration with both Motion and AE, and plug-ins have been built for both programs which do simple 3D modeling like text fairly cheaply while allowing you to composite motion graphics.

That's just the way it is.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Mar 9, 2011 at 1:20:13 am

Or what about Blender? Free 3D modeling and animation program.

blender.org

I don't use it but know people who do and it seems pretty powerful - especially for free. Sounds like it would easily handle what you're trying to do.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:18:40 am

You can also use Boris continuum 7 this Willa low you to stride text in 3d. There are few free 3d programs around.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]