FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Tracking and Stabilize

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Fasano
Motion Tracking and Stabilize
on Feb 21, 2011 at 7:21:33 pm

Aloha to All:

When I bring in a clip to Motion 4 from FCP7, I'd like to stabilize the camera shake. Unfortunately, when I apply the Stabilize analysis in Motion, the tracking takes the image off screen. To better define it, I have a clip where I am swimming with 2 dolphins in the beginning, then another set of dolphins enters the scene and I begin to film them as the first pair exits the scene. What Motion does with this clip then is follow the first pair of dolphins, but when they exit, Motion follows them instead of the new pair that enter. All I would like to do is stabilize the shot by just removing the slight camera shake on the screen.

Is there a way to turn off tracking so that all it does is remove some slight camera shake?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion Tracking and Stabilize
on Feb 21, 2011 at 8:48:52 pm

Set it to Smooth rather than Stabilize and then adjust the amount to taste.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Charles Fasano
on Feb 21, 2011 at 9:04:26 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.

I apologize for my elementarty knowledge, but knwo I am a marine biologist first and then a film editor. I also have no experience with Motion so I'm sort of doing a crash course in it since FCP7's smoothcam effect isn't working properly.

Could you direct me in where I can find the smooth feature in Motion please? and how can I change the Motion canvas to 1440 x 1080 which is what the clip is filmed? I see the canvas is 1920x1080.

Again, thank you very much for any and all help.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Feb 21, 2011 at 9:14:50 pm

It's in the HUD (Heads Up Display). In Motion's Help there's a primer on tracking, I'd suggest reading through it, lots of good info in there.

As to your project properties, those can be changed in Edit > Project Properties ... but realize that 1440x1080 basically is 1920x1080 with an anamorphic squeeze.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Charles Fasano
on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:47:28 pm

Thanks for your help.

I've read the track and smooth features and have applied several tracks to the clip. Understand, there isn't a single pixel in the beginning of the clip that is still in frame at the end of the clip. I was filming a group of dolphins in the beginning of the clip when another pair came so I panned with the new pair which was moving faster and I stayed with them. So there isn't a single pixel available from beginning to end.

Also, I was able to find the smooth feature in the HUD or inspector or anywhere. And the help manual only mentioned how to smooth te tracks, not he image.

Again, I apologize for my elementary knowledge and appreciate any and all help.

ALoha Charlie

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Feb 21, 2011 at 11:24:01 pm

You'll probably need to create separate clips then. Duplicate the clip and then trim the ins and outs.
Here's where Smooth is in the HUD:

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Charles Fasano
on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:54:53 pm

Thank you Mark for all your help.

I did exactly as described in copying the original capture files and importing them into Motion4 to do a test. On export though, I am having the same jittery problems. I believe its because Motion4 and FCP7 utilize the same smoothcam algorithm. I double checked this by also importing the clips from FCP7 directly to Motion and the smoothcam feature appeared in the Motion timeline. So this may be a problem thoughout the entire FC Suite3. Looks like I just need to get my hands on FCP6 and go from there.

Aloha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]