FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to in Motion/AE -- rotating earth with lit countries

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Wilson
How to in Motion/AE -- rotating earth with lit countries
on Feb 21, 2011 at 5:58:01 pm

Hey CC people,

I'm wondering how to do a certain effect. I've already figured out the basics of a "rotating earth" -- similar to this tutorial here.

So here's what I wanted to do.... I want a black and white rotating earth (go this part taken care of) but at certain points, I want specific countries to light up a certain color. So it might be 5 countries a second light up red, for example. Then another 5 the next second, and so on and so forth.

What's the best way to get this done? I'm not sure if Motion or After Effects would work better....

I figured I could make 7 or 8 different versions of the animation (one with no countries lit, another with 5 countries, another with 10 countries, and so on.. and then mix/fade them in FCP. But I'm hoping there's an easier way)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jordan Wilson
Re: How to in Motion/AE -- rotating earth with lit countries
on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:01:00 pm

Woops. Forgot the tutorial link.

Oh, here's the tutorial I'm basing it off of.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Feb 21, 2011 at 7:11:19 pm

OK, so the "earth" is simply a spherically-warped flat image. So what you'll need is a different flat image for each stage of your "lit" countries. Then you just swap the images each time you need an additional country "lit".

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:24:02 am

I would put your world and all of the lit countries in a group and add the sphere filter to the group. Then you can animate the countries getting lit in the group.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]