FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donald Riley
Media
on Feb 19, 2011 at 3:42:26 pm

I have two questions that I'm sure are elementary to this forum, but I'm somewhat new to Motion and want to avoid making basic errors from the get go as much as possible, thank you very much.

1) When importing media into motion for a drop-box (stills or video) I saw on utube that one should import via the media tab in the Project pane and either drop it in source box in the drop boxes inspector or use the( to tab). But in all the tutorials I'v seen everyone just drags from the browser to the Drop-box in the project pane. Does it matter which method is used?

2) I use a lot of stills and don't bother to scale them to project settings before import, letting motion do it from the preference setting, so far so good, but everyone keeps advising to do so, but no one says why. Rendering I suspect. Further, If motion scales the still, is it scaled when I Tab back to FCP or does FCP see the original media and has to render it again? I hope this does't seem too dumb.

Cheers Don

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
Re: Media
on Feb 20, 2011 at 1:44:27 pm

[Donald Riley] "2) I use a lot of stills and don't bother to scale them to project settings before import, letting motion do it from the preference setting, so far so good, but everyone keeps advising to do so, but no one says why. Rendering I suspect."

You got it. Scaling images before you import them means that Motion doesn't have to do it, which saves on processing time and memory.

There's another aspect you need to consider, which is Order of Operations. Pretty much everything you need to know about what the OoO is, how it can trip you up and why scaling before importing is usually the best idea can be found in this tutorial.

Return to posts index

Donald Riley
Re: Media
on Feb 20, 2011 at 4:30:23 pm

Thanks very much indeed. That site explains not only the rendering issue but why I had some problems when applying filters. Thanks again.

Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]