FORUMS: list search recent posts

Custom Motion Template Imports with Wrong Aspect Ratio

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt James
Custom Motion Template Imports with Wrong Aspect Ratio
on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:55:02 pm

When I make an SD Anamorphic custom Motion Template and bring it into FCP from the Generators drop down, it imports into FCP as square aspect ratio. So the size and aspect ratio's are all messed up and my Motion Template looks bad. Drag that template from the sequence to the bin and you can see it's size and aspect.

However, if you drag the exact same Motion file into the FCP bin from any other folder besides the Motion Templates folder in your user folder, it imports into FCP with the correct aspect ratio as was originally set in the Motion project.

Is this a software bug? Has anyone else run into this?

Matt James
Freelance FCP Editor
FCServer / XSAN
Denver, CO

OSX 10.6.5, FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Custom Motion Template Imports with Wrong Aspect Ratio
on Feb 3, 2011 at 11:20:46 pm

Try getting project properties on the motion project in your timeline (command-9) and checking the anamorphic column.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Matt James
Re: Custom Motion Template Imports with Wrong Aspect Ratio
on Feb 9, 2011 at 9:30:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. However your suggestion doesn't fix the problem. In addition to your suggestion, I can also change the aspect ratio in the FCP bin, but all text still looks out of focus and the graphics of my Motion file fuzzy. These changes never make it look right.

However, try my workaround yourself. Try taking an SD anamorphic Motion project and save it as a Master Template to see how it imports into FCP incorrectly.

Then try taking the exact same Motion file, copy it to any other folder on your local hard drive and then import that copy into FCP. It then imports correctly and everything looks sharp like it's supposed to be.

Interesting huh... I think it's a software bug that nobody ever caught because there probably isn't that many people working in anamorphic HD. I believe that FCP brings in all Motion Master Template as square aspect ratio because my 1920x1080 HD motion templates import just fine like you would expect.

Thanks,

Matt James
Freelance FCP Editor
Denver, CO

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]