FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fade In/Out Behvior kills 3d layering

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wilson
Fade In/Out Behvior kills 3d layering
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:14:49 am

I've got a group of still images and text elements sitting on a floor arranged front to back in z space. I've got a camera with a simple dolly behavior pulling back to reveal the stills and text.

I want all the images to fade out at the end of the animation (keeping floor group,etc..) but as soon as I apply a fade-in/out behavior to either the whole group or layers within the group, I lose the 3d layering in the project. ie: layers that are behind other layers in z space appear in front of them.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a workaround for getting a group to fade out without losing Z-space order?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Fade In/Out Behvior kills 3d layering
on Jan 19, 2011 at 4:14:50 am

You aren't doing anything wrong. Certain changes to a layer or group cause it to become rasterized, or precomped -forcing it to be composed in layer order. Changing opacity is one of those (changing blend modes and certain filters will do it as well). Motion alerts you to this fact by putting a box around the 3d stack icon in the Layers tab and a blue LED dot next to the offending parameter in the Inspector.

You'll need to find an alternative approach. One is to add the behavior to each of the layers. Another is to keyframe the camera's far fade so it won't see as far into the distance.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
Re: Fade In/Out Behvior kills 3d layering
on Jan 19, 2011 at 4:28:02 am

Thanks Mark. I was actually able to fix the problem by putting the 3d layers within the group in the order that they actually appear front to back.

I'm used to C4D, where 3D space is 3D space. Motion seems to be a strange confluence of 3D space and PhotoShop layer mentality.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]