FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Mystery of Ornament 6

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Petty
The Mystery of Ornament 6
on Jan 13, 2011 at 7:31:46 pm

Afternoon Kids...

As I continue my type palette project (see question from a couple days ago and thanks for the answers) I have come to a spot where adding a little flourish of some kind seems right. So I went to the content library and found a nice little piece of business called Ornament 6. Ideal.

Now for the mystery...I have absolutely no idea how to manipulate this drawing.

How can I make it draw on faster (in say 1.5 seconds)? How do I make it stay on screen when it has fully drown out?

I have scanned through every panel in the inspector and can't figure this one out...and the manual might as well be sanskrit.

(For the record I'd be willing to bet about 99% of moderate users of Motion have no idea how to use about 99% of the stuff in the content library. Big $$$ for somebody to do a tutorial series on this subject.)

Appreciate any guidance...

MP

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: The Mystery of Ornament 6
on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:45:42 pm

Not sitting at my Mac, so you'll have to help me help you. What do you get when you drag Ornament 6 into your project? A group with a paint stroke that is animated on with a behavior/keyframes? Or a QT movie (one layer).

If the paint stroke, it's likely a write on behavior. You can change the speed of the write on by shortening the behavior. You can keep it on the screen by lengthening the stroke layer.

If it's a qt movie, add a set speed behavior or change the speed in the timing parameter of the inspector. Also change the end duration to hold if you want the ornament to remain on the screen after it's drawn on.

Again, I'm not at my Mac so I can't tell you exactly what might help.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:56:45 pm

Ornament is a series of shape/strokes with the write-on behavior.

You can't really manipulate the group itself, but by going in and adjusting the write on behavior(s) - there's one on each stroke - you can change the in/out points of each one - timing it however you like.

Attached is a screenshot of the timeline open, with the write on behaviors.

Best,

Jeff G

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 13, 2011 at 9:24:19 pm

Jeff is right. Also, you can change the shapes thickness in the Stroke tab.

Mike, as for your comment: (For the record I'd be willing to bet about 99% of moderate users of Motion have no idea how to use about 99% of the stuff in the content library. Big $$$ for somebody to do a tutorial series on this subject.)

This subject is deeply covered in my Apple Motion Training DVD Moving with Motion.

Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:02:04 pm

Thanks everybody...and Stephen - I have seen parts of your DVD. Good stuff.

But...as with most all tutorials, the learning is glommed with a bunch of other stuff and is usually in the context of a simulated project that contains lots of lessons and or techniques. They are great.

But from my perspective (and I do training videos for a living) nobody has produced any training/tutorials that address how to do a specific thing in Motion. I have a bookshelf full of tutorial DVD's that begin with "in this lesson we are going to learn A, B, C, D & E."

Damn, man. How about just showing me how to do A? We'll do B in the next chapter.

Take my question for example...One could do a simple 2 or 3 minute tutorial on how to manipulate the little animated pieces in the drawing section of the content library. Then in another little lesson, another 2 or 3 minutes on another single thing...Like how to manipulate/what to do with some of the stuff in the Line or Gadgets folders.

Training that consisted of a couple of dozen or more little 2-3 minute lessons on how to deal with major content categories in the Motion library would be great.

Not for nothing but I'll handle the creativity on my end. I already have and idea of what I want to build...I just want to learn how to use a hammer...just show me how. Don't do it in the context of how to build a house.

Sorry to rant...I appreciate the good works that you Motion mavens do on the boards here. But from those of us who only do this at the rookie level, training like I have described would well worth it.

MP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]