FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export animation crazy slow

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wilson
Export animation crazy slow
on Jan 13, 2011 at 2:53:31 pm

I'm working on a 4 minute animation in Motion and the export is taking about 3 hours to render.

I don't think there's anything extraordinary about the project (expect maybe the length)

It plays back in near real-time when in the project file is inserted into a FCP timeline.

It's basically a camera in 3d space that starts on a still image (with a reflection on the floor) and pulls back to another similar scene. Then repeats that for 4 scenes. No lighting... no alpha channel... no particle emitters or filters. Since it plays back pretty well in FCP and Motion (without RAM preview, I'm surprised it's taking so long to render out to a QT file.

Is it always this much slower to actually render and is there an advantage to Exporting in Motion over inserting a motion project into the timeline and rendering in FCP?

There is one thing that I couldn't get to work... when I insert a motion project file into the FCP timeline, no audio comes with it. But if I actually export QT out of Motion, the audio track is there. Is that normal or is there a switch I'm missing?

Thanks

Andrew

MacPro 3.0 8 core - 9 gigs of RAM
Motion 4
OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Export animation crazy slow
on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:59:05 pm

It does seem slow - but your export might be different than your playback preferences.
3D, reflections are usually killers.

If you bring it into FCP directly, it should be handled as if it were uncompressed, until you render; in which case, it gets rendered in the timeline's codec.

Best,

Jeff G

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
Re: Export animation crazy slow
on Jan 13, 2011 at 9:28:53 pm

Just for kicks, I dropped the motion project file into a FCP timeline. I *think* my export settings were the same as my timeline prefs:

Standard Def
Prores 422

Inside FCP the render was 10 minutes.
Using export to QT movie from within Motion... render = 3.5 hours.

They look the same to me. Reflections... etc... are there.

Now... doing it this way, why would my audio track not come along into the FCP timeline?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]