FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choosing a Codec for an animation

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Blaszak
Choosing a Codec for an animation
on Dec 31, 2010 at 6:49:56 pm

I'm creating a new animation that will mostly be done in Motion 4 and compiled in FCP. It will mostly consist of art, photos and animation created in Motion. Delivery is for the web -- YouTube, Vimeo -- though I'd like it detailed enough to possibly one day go on a DVD. What codec and sequence preset would you recommend to create the video in?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

zak peric
Re: Choosing a Codec for an animation
on Dec 31, 2010 at 7:16:29 pm

You should use Animation codec. This is uncompressed codec delivering best results. Then convert copies of the rendered movie to MP4, and .FLV, from within quicktime pro.

Happy holidays

Z

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:21:39 pm

I would use ProRes 4444 - virtually lossless, includes an alpha channel, and is more efficient than Animation.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Dec 31, 2010 at 11:16:34 pm

I would do a test of both cidecses to see what looks best. I love 4444 as it is amazing, however in my experience I know that animation codec produces best results, however it also produces bigger files. Being that you will recompress the file it is in my oppinion that animation codec is the best.

Return to posts index

Scott Blaszak
on Jan 4, 2011 at 7:43:23 pm

OK thanks.

For ProRes 444, which sequence preset would I use? 960 x 720 30p? Is there a standard one for basic animations primarily used for online video?

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:06:27 pm

That would depend on what standard are you working in. There is standard pal or NTSC or you can use HD presets.
Frame rate will be dependend on a standard you use. If you create new document in motion it gives you all you need in turms of frame rate, standards and size.

Return to posts index

Scott Blaszak
on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:10:18 pm

I guess what I'm asking is, which of the many motion presets should I choose? I'm starting from scratch, so I could create the project with whatever dimensions/framerate etc I want. Does that make sense? I might not be expressing this right... Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:16:08 pm

Where will this be seen? TV in France? Web only?

Will this animation go with video footage?

Does your client like a 24p look or 30?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Blaszak
on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:59:15 pm

The video is commissioned for web delivery -- most likely a Vimeo upload. I'm almost certain there won't be any video footage. The client hasn't expressed any preference on frame rate. Basically, these decisions are all up to me. As long as it looks fairly decent up on Vimeo, they'll be happy...

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 5, 2011 at 11:11:14 pm

Then it sounds like you can choose any preset and it will work for you. Here are the two presets I use the most:

XDCAM EX 1080p24 - Here is a Motion template I created with that preset. Watch the "Colorful Flourish Motion 4 Template".

DVCPRO HD 1080i60 - Here is an animation created with that preset. It is a TV Show Open.

I think both of those presets are great and will look great. Hope this information is of help and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]