FORUMS: list search recent posts

what's workflow for Gr Screen project using FCP, Motion?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david soriano
what's workflow for Gr Screen project using FCP, Motion?
on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:29:35 pm

I have a green screen project that i am editing. The FCP keyer does a better job than the one in Motion, but i can't send the project to Motion while keeping the FCP key effect. I downloaded Phyx Keyer and it's better than Motion's, but not as good as FCP's, which kinda s%cks since i paid $179 for it.

Anyways, i like Motion cuase they have some particle generators that i want to use in upper left corner next to "news" person reading stories. What is the best way to get a project through FCP/Motion when working with a green screen effect?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: what's workflow for Gr Screen project using FCP, Motion?
on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:34:27 pm

1) Send the keyed clip but don't choose the Embed checkbox so that it remains with it's filter in FCP's timeline. Then just import and composite your Motion project over it.

2) Export the keyed clip using a codec that supports the alpha channel like Animation or ProRes 4444 and bring that into Motion. No real reason for this unless are you compositing Motion elements above AND below the keyed subject.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:54:41 pm

on 1) you might need to get more detailed. So you mean to right click the keyed clip ONLY in FCP and choose Send to...Motion oroject. Then uncheck the Embed box. I did that and the clip keeps the green background, w/o key effect. I assume this was not what was intended?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:58:54 pm

That is what is intended - you are sending the clip to Motion for reference only. Filters, transitions, and generators never make the trip from FCP to Motion.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Dec 22, 2010 at 3:10:15 pm

so i just compose effects in Motion over video and use imported FCP clip solely as reference. Then save as a regular motion project and go back to FCP and import the motion project, or do i need to export the project in Motion to FCP?

thanks again

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 22, 2010 at 3:17:22 pm

You can just import the Motion project itself into FCP and composite it over your video - just make sure to turn off the video layer in Motion first.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Dec 23, 2010 at 5:20:33 pm

Also, I would return that keyer you bought if it's not better than FCP's. There is a cheap keyer that works really well called DV Matte Pro. Don't let the "DV" throw you, it works great with HD video too. It's just that it was designed for keying poor quality DV footage.

It costs less than what you paid, and best of all, works in BOTH Motion AND FCP.

Now, if you apply it in FCP, it still won't travel to Motion if you send the clip, but at least if you know you'll be in Motion for this clip, you can key it exactly the same in Motion as you can in FCP.

Andy

I'm not associated with DV Matte Pro. I just hate the standard Motion keyer and found that this works much better for not much extra.

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]