FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Remove Jagged Edges on 3D Text?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Monskey
How to Remove Jagged Edges on 3D Text?
on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:04:18 pm

I created a text project in MOTION that is in simulated 3-D with blocks of letters in a curved form across the screen. The letters have a jagged edge like they need to be rasterized (I'm worried if I do this ---I can't figure out how to rasterize---it will flatten the text or do something as there is a warning about 3D text & rasterizing) or cleaned up somehow. WHat needs to be done to straighten jagged font edges? I don't want to apply a blur as that just makes the sharpness unclear.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: How to Remove Jagged Edges on 3D Text?
on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:09:31 pm

Set your render quality to Best.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 18, 2010 at 12:52:28 am

I did before. And I hit render in the "render" drop-down button in the upper right. But I'm actually not sure I am rendering. I also went into the top bar and hit "render preview and let it process it frame by frame so the green bar appears in the timeline window. But perhaps I'm not actually rendering my project.
What is the proper procedure so I know it is happening?
I'm also linking my MOTION project directly through FCP as the HELP info says this is the best way rather than outputting a contained project. Is this how you suggest I import my project into FCP?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 18, 2010 at 7:21:29 am

Yes embedding the Motion project file directly in your FCP timeline can work well, but you then need to set the FCP sequence settings (under the Sequence menu when the sequence is active) to render at best quality (Render Control tab) for your text to look good.

This article I wrote may be helpful:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/motion_text_in_fcp_spencer.html

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 19, 2010 at 3:31:42 am

Thanks Mark, however going through your recommendations and your article I am not able to make any improvements to my project. There must be something else that I can do. Below are some of my settings and preferences for the program and project. Perhaps looking through them will reveal a solution.

It is a 603 frame project (3 frames over 10 seconds). IN the MOTION Preferences tab the General Settings are as follows for a project:
DVCPRO HD 720p 60 (which is what my video & FCP project are set to)
960 W
720 H
8 bit depth
59.94 Fps

Render settings in Preferences:
8: samples
360°: Shutter Angle
Reflections:
2 Maximum Bounce

In the MOTION Program project window itself the Settings are as follows:
Render: FULL
Quality: BEST
LIGHTING-check
SHADOWS-check
REFLECTIONS-check
FRAME BLENDING-check

In my project the selected text is:
Blend Mode: NORMAL
Font: PLAYBIL REGULAR
150 pts

Behaviors/Filters:
DAZZLE
SPHERE (475 Radius)
EXTRUDE
OSCILLATE-Sawtooth set to -40% amplitude, speed is .20
SCALE is 100% in the TEXT tab and 110% in the PROPERTIES tab

The text is set to a 10° to 12° angle and the edges of the font have that stepped edge appearance. In AFTER EFFECTS there used to be a rasterize or something setting that would smooth this edge out. I'm looking for that magic easy solution---or any solution. I should be able to make an angled straight line.

Any solutions, Dr?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 19, 2010 at 4:15:30 am

I suspect your filters are rasterizing your text. Try removing them or place them on the group containing the text.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 22, 2010 at 3:14:56 am

Hey Everyone,
Thank you for all the help and troubleshooting with this jagged edge issue. Mark---thanks specifically for your continued attention and suggestions.
Here's what I came up with for a solution:
I reordered my BEHAVIORS/FILTERS in the LAYERS window---specifically I moved the EXTRUDE behavior above the SPHERE & OSCILLATE effects. Immediately when I did this the jagged edge smoothed out.
I am a fly by the seat of my pants, learn as I go guy---get'n the work done just as I need. So, I am not professionally trained with the proper procedures to use and I don't always go to the books before I get my hands dirty----I just go and experiment and see what I get (trial & error). I am now assuming the order the layers go in the column affects how they interact with each other.
I'll post it soon under DAN MONSKEY ADVENTURE HOST to show my final result. Someone recently on the COW gave me some real positive feedback form a video, so I know people look at examples people post.
This is a great resource of talented individuals generous with their time and knowledge. Thanks again for all the help.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]