FORUMS: list search recent posts

align camera to 3D layer

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dymon
align camera to 3D layer
on Dec 3, 2010 at 9:00:17 pm

Dear Wizards,
Trying to recall the key stroke to move the camera from one 3D scene to another. I believe there's a straight forward, time saving way. Kind regards,

paul

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: align camera to 3D layer
on Dec 3, 2010 at 10:07:49 pm

You'll find it in the Camera menu - top left of the Canvas. F or Command-F, depending on what you are trying to do.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 5, 2010 at 8:34:43 pm

I'm about to tell you things about the camera what the really accomplished people on this list already know.

After seriously studying Motion for about the past year, I never ran across a tutorial or message that really put together the Big Picture between the camera, the Active Camera view, the HUD, and keyframes. It was only when struggling with a big assignment recently that the light bulb turned on.

I was modifying the Float.HD template (in the first group of templates). I deleted the behavior "Camera Move" and went with directly keyframing the camera.

This will sound so simple and obvious that people who know will snicker when I say it was a recent revelation for me, but it'll help people who are in my previous position, so here goes with my findings and positions:

1. Whenever possible, only move the camera. Much simpler.
2. ALWAYS set a keyframe on the camera before adjusting the camera unless you want a global change. It appears that if you move the camera without a keyframe set, you'll move the camera for the entire timeline, thus upsetting keyframes you've already worked on. The global start of the camera is (it appears to me) the only time you'll set the camera without a keyframe. I found that in a complicated timeline, I would adjust the camera on a keyframe and then check the previous keyframe before moving on to make sure I didn't upset something.
3. If the camera is on a keyframe, you can select any other layer and hit F to fly the camera to frame that layer as is, or CMD-F to flip the camera around as it flies so that it looks at that layer right-side-up. Even with another layer selected but you're still sitting on a camera keyframe, you can adjust the the Active Camera view to adjust the camera. However, you must have the camera layer selected to adjust the camera view with the HUD.

Once I had my head on straight about moving the camera, my seemingly complicated project was much, much easier.

So, Wizards, if I'm wrong on any of this, please let me know. I really want to have it right. Even with what I've discovered for myself, it looks like I need to order Mark Spencers tutorials on moving the camera.

Don Smith
NewsVideo.com

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Paul Dymon
on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:26:51 pm

Thanks guys.

paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved