FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any way to make a light only affect a specific object?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Any way to make a light only affect a specific object?
on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:26:39 pm

Say I've got a project with a background and a text layer separated in 3D space. The background has a green light on it and I want a white light on the text. Is there any automagic way to create a light that will only affect the text layer, with no spill onto the background? Or do I just have to position and balance the text light in such a way that it doesn't affect the background?

FWIW, I know about the control that toggles whether or not an object is affected by a light, but that's not what I need here. I want all objects in the scene to be affected by lights, but for some objects to ignore some lights so that I don't get unwanted colour mixing due to spill.

Return to posts index

zak peric
Re: Any way to make a light only affect a specific object?
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:24:51 pm

You can, select the layer you do not want to be affected by light, then go to properties of your text layer, then under the lighting tab switch the shading to off.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Nov 19, 2010 at 6:46:01 pm

Sorry Zak, you misunderstood. If you do that, then that object will not be affected by ANY lights at all. I want EVERY object to be affected by lights, but I also want specific objects to only be affected by specific lights.

To reiterate my example, I have a background that is lit with a green light and a foreground text layer that is lit with a white light. I do not want any of the white light to spill onto the background, because that will cause colour mixing and also may light sections of the background that I do not want to be lit. Is there any way of achieving this other than trial and error with the positioning of the lights?

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
on Nov 22, 2010 at 11:51:53 am

It's not as elegant, but you might be able to get it to work by simply rendering out your foreground and importing it back into your project.

Turn off the background (and the green lights)
Export video to a format with an alpha-channel
In the export window you can choose to "import into project" after export
When the export is done, turn your background back on, and make the layer with the re-imported foreground 2D.

Let me know if that works.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]