FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 3 Color Shift

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Aldridge
Motion 3 Color Shift
on Nov 9, 2010 at 6:16:49 am

Hello Folks!

This is my first post, but I've been utilizing for the forums here for awhile now. Lot's of great info, but I can't seem to find an answer to my recent dilemma :)

I'm working on my first project with the 7D, and I've run into some color issues with Motion. Specifically, I've noticed that the color saturation of my clips increases when I import them. They are also a tad darker.

Granted, I'm not entirely sure I have the correct project settings. Should I be using Broadcast 1080? A custom setting?

Here's my workflow: I've converted the 7D files to Apple ProRes (1920x1080) for editing in FCP. The clips that need work in Motion are exported as new clips (I know I can export directly to Motion, but prefer to keep them separate for various reasons), and then those new clips imported in Motion. Right off the bat I notice that the color saturation has changed and the images a bit darker. I've tried different project settings (Broadcast 1080, HDV1080, etc) but the color is always altered. I've even tried exporting from FCP with different settings, but nothing seems to make a difference. Naturally, when I import the Motion clips back to FCP they don't match.

(As a test, I exported some standard def clips from FCP (NTSC DV), imported them to Motion (NTSC DV setting), and then exported them as new clips. In this case the color was unchanged. The clips from Motion looked identical to the exports from FCP.)

So.. in a nutshell, I guess I'm confused on the proper way of exporting 1920x1080 footage from FCP, and what settings to use in Motion. Any thoughts? Or is the color shift unavoidable?

My specs:
FCP 6.0.6
Motion 3

Thanks!

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]