FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rotate all objects in sync with one another

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Pennington
Rotate all objects in sync with one another
on Nov 5, 2010 at 4:26:43 pm

Hey, I know I can pull this off with the Motion Path behaviour and some time and energy, but figure there's got to be a simpler way to do it: I've got four pictures that I want to rotate around a circular path, and I'd like to just animate one and have them all move at the same time, and the same distance.

So the pictures would move about 45 degrees, each one following the other around the circle. I could do four Motion Paths for each picture, but I'd prefer to create some kind of Parent group that I could rotate the pics all with keyframe-able parameter. And Ultimately I'll be dimming the opacity of the pictures unless they're in the front and centre position, some depth of field blur as well.

I keep thinking about a grid shape that I would spin, or a careful use of anchor points, really just looking to cut down on the time it takes to animate the move, because it will be dependent on the Talking Head that this all has to match to.

thanks for any suggestions, and have a good weekend -

Matt

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Rotate all objects in sync with one another
on Nov 5, 2010 at 4:34:31 pm

Use the circle shape tool to create a circle. Set to outline. Add logo. Add "Motion Path" behavior to logo. Change "Path Shape" in motion path behavior to Geometry. Drag the circle shape to the Shape Source well. Hide the Circle and you have a logo that follows around the circle. Add the other logos to the same motion path just like you did with the first and adjust the Offset to get the different logos at different points in the circle path. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Matt Pennington
on Nov 5, 2010 at 7:07:34 pm

Thanks Stephen that does a good job of getting those objects moving around an invisible circle, ...but now it's a matter of pressing pause and having the whole orbit come to a nice soft stop, after each quarter turn.

I played around with the Custom speed option for the Motion Path, but can't get a soft landing. I grouped all of the objects and tried a behaviour on that group, like Hold Frame or Set Speed, but they can't be applied. May have to split the motion path into four sections, dunno,

thanks,

Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Pennington
on Nov 5, 2010 at 7:10:46 pm

Wait, I suppose I could export the spinning objects, bring them back in, then apply Set Speed. But no, can't do that, might need to have the objects 'react' a little when they're the focus.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 5, 2010 at 7:27:10 pm

Change Speed to Custom, you will gain a Custom speed option. There you can keyframe so you have say first key frame at 15% then go a second or so down the timeline and set another keyframe for 15%. That will hold your object from orbiting for a second or what ever the distance in keyframes is.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:49:32 pm

Just wondering if it wouldn't help to also use the ability of the camera to orbit?

Return to posts index

Matt Pennington
on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:56:22 pm

That's an interesting idea, hadn't thought of it. Would just be a matter of setting or keyframing each object so that they face forward at all times.

Well maybe next time, have decided to go with an all keyframing method in 3D space with camera. I created a ring for a guide track and tilted it back so that it's almost horizontal to ground, placed each object on ring, moving each in conjunction with each other manually. Deadline is looming so this seemed to be the best solution, gives me the most control.

thanks for your input,

Matt

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 10, 2010 at 6:39:34 pm

It seems like you're making this harder than it needs to be. Or else, I don't understand an aspect of your animation.

Here's what I'd do:

Place all 4 objects in a 3D group. Space them however you like.

Add a camera.

Keyframe the X rotation of the 3D group so that all the objects spin at the same time.

Use the Point At behavior on each of the 4 objects so that they always point at the camera.

Am I missing something about this animation in which this method wouldn't work?

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Matt Pennington
on Nov 10, 2010 at 7:13:22 pm

Andy, that seems like a very easy way to achieve this effect, played around with it briefly. I would be rotating the Y axis, so going from left to right, and yeah that seems like it would work. The Point At behaviour is not something I've used before, cool thanks!

But I'm knee deep in this thing now, see pic below

So I've got 5 objects, they spin around that white particle halo, so with camera and a light the objects get fuzzy and dim as they make their way to the back. (note: camera and light turned off in screenshot above)

I'm moving them with a Motion Path on each object, which means they're easy to move as a group if I need to retime them to the talking head, and I can also reposition them very easily that way as a group, so that for each new turn, the objects are nicely arranged together. The Top view helps a lot with this.

thanks for your tips, next time!

Matt

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 10, 2010 at 8:27:03 pm

You should make sure that the Face Camera button for your particle emitter is checked so that your particles don't look flat as they do in the pic.

Otherwise if it's working, then it's right (I always say).

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]